New Trailer and Extended Warranty

We just bought a 2013 Wilderness 3175RE at the Hershey RV Show and we included a 7 year extended warranty from Camping World (Good Sam). Was that a good idea? It was a lot of money and I'm concerned if I made the right decision.

danemayer

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on your new Wilderness and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly people who are willing to help out if you have questions.

You'll probably get mixed opinions on the value of extended warranties. The devil seems to be in the details on extended warranties so it's a good idea to read the coverage carefully.

GOTTOYS

We just bought a 2013 Wilderness 3175RE at the Hershey RV Show and we included a 7 year extended warranty from Camping World (Good Sam). Was that a good idea? It was a lot of money and I'm concerned if I made the right decision.
If you've already bought the "warranty" it's maybe too late. Did you take the time to read everything about it and see what it DOESN'T cover as well as what it does? These are huge profit makers for the dealer...Fortunately the Good Sam product is one of the better ones...that still doesn't mean it's a good thing to have. Keep in mind your trailer has a one year warranty on everything so now your service contract is a 6 year contract...Then most of your appliances have a 2 year warranty so now it's a 5 year contract. I would have waited and decided if I needed one after the original warranty ran out, but that's just me. I hope you enjoy your new rig and welcome to the forum. Sorry I didn't give you the answer you might have been looking for..Don

DonnyB007

It's to bad that Heartland doesn't take a second look at their warranty for extended coverage.

I agree, there is so much that they do not cover on extended warranty, that I declined the
coverage.

danemayer

It's to bad that Heartland doesn't take a second look at their warranty for extended coverage.

I agree, there is so much that they do not cover on extended warranty, that I declined the
coverage.

Heartland is not involved. Extended warranties are actually service agreements offered by 3rd parties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lwmcguir

Extended warranties are just for paying ahead for what you think may break down. Most if not all extended warranties don't cover any really serious issues like frames.

mobilcastle

I don't have one, but if you need it you will be happy you have it. I fix most things myself. Forget about it and go camping!!

TXTiger

I like the peace of mind that a extended warranty gives you. I ride Harley Davidson motorcycles and have used my extended warranty on several bikes in the past. When I purchased my Cyclone I also got a extended warranty sold by the dealer. I have had a claim and am not happy with the warranty company. Yes they did deny my $400 claim and I disagree but it is the lack of customer service I am most unhappy with. They would never return my calls and I had to keep following up and call them until someone answered instead of getting voice mail. It took them 3 months, 2 claims adjusters and a supervisor to finally tell me that the claim was denied. I am considering canceling this expensive warranty and getting a refund and using the refund to purchase the less expensive Good Sam extended warranty instead. Would love to know what everyone thinks of the Good Sam extended warranty and if anyone has had a claim with Good Sam.

danemayer

I have Good Sam and opened a claim last summer. They were very professional and clearly explained coverage. Turned out the repair cost was less than the deductible, so there was no recovery of my cost. Of course, that's also the good news in that the repair cost was low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ThomasG

We bought our Camper in August and didn't buy the extended warranty since we still can buy in the one year factory warranty period. We shipped the camper right back to the dealer after our first camping trip for some warranty work. It was there for a month till i finally got the call that it's done, so i picked it up the next saturday morning. Only the parts guy was there to hand me the key. No information about anything. I went to the camper and first thing i noticed, one window was wide open, i don't know for how long. Thank god it didn't rain the last few days. I looked inside and only half of the things i complained about, are fixed! So i hooked it up and put it in winterstorage. They didn't even bother calling since then. After the winter i will bring it right back to get the rest fixed and when the warranty is over they will never see me again and will not purchase the extended warranty. I will fix my stuff myself, the only way to know that it's done right. The quality of the camper sucks and so does the dealers service. I'm anything but happy and i regret buying this camper.

n2snow2

We bought our Camper in August and didn't buy the extended warranty since we still can buy in the one year factory warranty period. We shipped the camper right back to the dealer after our first camping trip for some warranty work. It was there for a month till i finally got the call that it's done, so i picked it up the next saturday morning. Only the parts guy was there to hand me the key. No information about anything. I went to the camper and first thing i noticed, one window was wide open, i don't know for how long. Thank god it didn't rain the last few days. I looked inside and only half of the things i complained about, are fixed! So i hooked it up and put it in winterstorage. They didn't even bother calling since then. After the winter i will bring it right back to get the rest fixed and when the warranty is over they will never see me again and will not purchase the extended warranty. I will fix my stuff myself, the only way to know that it's done right. The quality of the camper sucks and so does the dealers service. I'm anything but happy and i regret buying this camper.
. I believe that's what they want . I hear stories yeah they fix this or that for people after the warranty over There getting of cheap they do when they want I never would of thought that buying new you would have so many problems if you have things fixed under warranty and they take months to do it how is that good customer service mine has been in for work for about 5 of the 10 months I've owned it .i bought the extended warranty but it doesn't fix the things that the factory should have fixed my trailer is in Indiana getting frame fixed broken welds pin box flex and a list of other things to long to list. This is my first camper and I love the life style the floor plan of heartland but quality of workman ship is just not there anymore sorry just my 2 cents. I'm disappointed my camper is in Indiana and I'm stranded in Iowa rather be down south"........

DuaneG

n2snow2,

We feel your pain. Since our purchase our trailer has been in the shop 80% of the time.

I really hope something changes at the factory. We wanted to start fulltiming but it is impossible with all the problems. I was told another company bought heartland, so maybe thats when things went down hill.

We missed two trips so far because we were not in possession of our trailer.

We were considering purchasing a trailer for our daughter, but now have to put that off. I never thought buying used was better than buying new. But I think that's what we have to do. At least used the previous owners should have fixed all the problems from the factory.

danemayer

Let's try to keep posts on track to respond to the original poster's request for feedback about Extended Warranties.

DuaneG

True I did get side tracked and off topic. We purchased extended warranty while at the dealer and never received a booklet on what was covered and took their word on it. I guess that was a bad idea and if others know of a better company and or option I am all for it.

TeJay

We had an extended warranty on our last camper. It got totaled within 6 weeks of us picking it up from the dealer. A dump truck hit us in a gas station so it was his fault. When we got around to settling everything we canceled our extended warranty with 1 day to spare and got all but $50 bucks back. Check your contract and it should list a time frame for canceling the contract.

TeJay

jayandhisgals

We bought the extended warranty from our dealer at the time of the sale. It was presented to us by the finance manager and after we got home we felt it was an impulsive, uninformed, uneducated decision. It was very expensive and at the time we made the purchace we wern't thiking that we were going to finance that extended warranty over 15 yrs. Really.... paying intrest for 15 years for 7 yrs extended coverage? Just dosn't make good finical sense to us. I did a little research on the company and then discovered the company MPP had a score of F with the BBB. I read the contract carefully and discovered I could get a full refund if I requested it within 30 days and had no claims. It wasn't easy but I made the company provide me with all the forms, had to go back to the dealer and get the finance mgr. to sign the forms and got them sent off cert. mail before my 30 days was up and got our $$ back. In my opinion... extended warranties are not worth the $$. HL takes very good care of their customers and can refer you to a repair center anywhere you may be. If you have good credit and perhaps a reward program on your credit card your better off just paying for repairs as needed and maybe even getting cash back or what ever type bonus your cc offers. No need to pay for something that might or might not break. That's just how we feel about it. You'll have to decide for yourself.

BobandEva

I have a Good Sam warranty that was purchased from a dealer. By the way if you purchase it from a dealer I received a 3 yr. warranty for the price they wanted for one year through the website. So far I have not used it, not because I didn't try, the Shop (Camping World) said it was denied, Upon calling Good Sam I was told a claim was not started. Beware where you do business. Years back I had a GS ESP on another unit and was denied the claim as they said it was a pre existing condition because the unit was 5 yrs old. I had a GS EXP since day one as I bought it new with one year break in between as it was in storage. I quite fighting it as it was obvious they just were not going to cover it. I bought then current coverage just because it was cheap and if I just get a Fridge, or AC replaced it will pay for itself, otherwise I would not do business with GS either.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We also bought an extended warranty from Star when we bought the rig. It expires this month. I got a quote from GS, but think I'll just "self insure" and not worry about it.

Chiefcpo

Have GSEW and it really depends on your choice of where the repairs are made. Used mine to get new steps on the Big Sky (Montana) @ CW in Robertsdale Al. no problem and a great service department, Just wish they sold HL units, would have purchased mine there. Steps installed would have cost about $900.00 all but freight covered. AS in any service needs IT IS THE PLACE THAT IS DOING THE WORK that makes it good or bad.