Trip planning software & attractions suggestions

tdharley

I am looking for some route planning software like Mapquest's. The problem with Mapquests software is that it will only do 10 stops.

Also any suggestions for stops would be appreciated. We already are planning Elkhart, Mall of America, Corn Palace, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Old Faithful, Yellowstone Park, etc.

Remember I have 3 grandkids 9, 7 & 4.

Tom of Ypsi

TD,

I use DeLorme Street Atlas. I originally planned on using it on my laptop while driving but found it too cumbersome. I use it to look up POI's along the route I plan on taking, this includes campgrounds, shopping centers, etc. I use my Garmin to tell me how to get to these POI's which I have found to be a bit more accurate than the DeLorme

kkamshop

tdharley said:
I am looking for some route planning software like Mapquest's. The problem with Mapquests software is that it will only do 10 stops.

Also any suggestions for stops would be appreciated. We already are planning Elkhart, Mall of America, Corn Palace, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Old Faithful, Yellowstone Park, etc.

Remember I have 3 grandkids 9, 7 & 4.

You could add the Cody rodeo - every night in Cody Wy

SmokeyBare

I'd section off the Trips.... that would work with-in the restrictions of your program. After all.... what's as much fun is to break from the Plan... and explore some... Ever Check out:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/welcome.html

Buffalo Bill Cody's Museum is worth while. Streets of Cody has Gun Fights.

Bedrock Cities... Home of the Flintstones in Custer.

Dinosaur Park, Rapid City SD

Spam Museum, Austin Minn

Worlds Largest ball of Twine, Darwin Minn

Smokey Bear Statue at the Ice box of the Nation... International Falls, MN

Have a Great time planning your trip TDHarley.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I have Microsoft Streets and Trips, it is very easy to use, lots of options and can be used with a GPS receiver. I am currently on a long trip, which I have used it to plan the whole trip. The file for this trip currently has 65 stops or waypoints.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We also have Microsoft streets and trips 2006 with the GPS sensor. Yes it is cumbersome in the truck. The only problems we've had so far are sometimes the "location spot" on the map is not really where you need to go. The address is correct though. Trick is to compare the address to the "location spot" We just bought a Garmin C340. It seems to work well but I have to get used to it's method of routing and setting up preferences.

jpmorgan37

Like Ray, I use Streets & Trips, 2007 along with a Magellan 760. I have a mount for the laptop so it sits close at hand. With streets and trips, I can plug in the GPS coordinates of any stop and it puts me on the button. Currently, I have over 5k miles with many stops programmed into it. It is also easy to change the stops or route anytime you want without affecting the entire route. If you want more info, e-mail me.

John

Uncle Rog

tdh, you might try some of that geocaching deal, misspelled of course. Might keep the little rascals occupied for 5-10 minutes!

Ray LeTourneau

Uncle Rog said:
tdh, you might try some of that geocaching deal, misspelled of course. Might keep the little rascals occupied for 5-10 minutes!
Actually I think you spelled it right. The website is www.geocaching.com . Lin & I have done it a few times and it's especially fun when people look at you trying to figure out what the **** your're doing. :D

retroxrider

One more vote for MS S&T. Although I don't use it for camping (we have a seasonal site) I do use it for mapping out motorcycle trips.

dtvista

Streets and Trips

Switch to Microsoft Streets and Trips. It is basically like MapQuest but better for traveling. Unlimited stops and routes.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

My Garmin C340 sent me on a wild goose chase today. I looked up a Kwik Trip in Princeton, WI. It led me to the North side of town instead of the south side. The address was the same number but it was suppposed to be south. On the plus side the phone number was correct which got us there.

r4man2

Garmin 2008 Update Released

I just a Garmin Nuvi 650 for $399 because they were releasing new models today. This unit cost over $800 just a year ago. Those that have a 2008 free update coming (any unit bought after May 1st, 2007) can call or request it on-line.

Garmin has a way of uploading lists of points of interest (POI) and there are several free and a few fee site to get them. If there is interest, we could create a list of diesel mechanics, dealers doing warranty service, and RV repair shops that have a known history of good work.

Any interest?

BTW -- My interest became REAL when my diesel quit on me in the middle on a busy intersection. Towing to mechanic that I trust and he said that it was because one of my batteries had a bad cell and the other battery just couldn't do it any more. Me, the NON mechanic, thought that with the engine running, the alternator would provide plenty of current for the motor to keep on running. Apparently, this isn't so in our computer world with all the diagnostic checks. I didn't warn of low voltage JUST STOPPED and I almost got a hernia pushing the truck to the first place that I could pull over. Don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had the 5'er attached. On the road it should would be nice to be able to look at the GPS for the next reliable service person.

tdharley

Thanks for all the opinions. I downloaded a copy of S&Ts.

I use the Pioneer AVIC/Z1 nav system . It has not failed me yet.