Campground recommendations in TN, KY, VA or W VA

MountainTop

We've been home almost a month after our 6 week summer trip and with the cooler weather are getting an itchy foot again (itchy hitch?). We'd appreciate any recommendations for interesting places to camp in eastern TN, southern VA, western or southern W VA or southern KY, preferably where there are hookups. We especially enjoy mountain areas and hope to find a place where we can either paddle our canoe (flat water) or peddle our bikes (but not mountain biking trails).

MPG185-GA

VA's Grayson Highlands State Park adjacent to the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area is well worth the effort!

hillsonwheels

There are two state CGs in southern WV you might consider.......Camp Creek and Pipestem. Both are not too far off I-77...and are near Bluestone Dam in Hinton, WV.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you want full hook-ups, Country Waye CG near Luray, VA is very nice. Mountain views, close to Skyline Drive and you can do canoing on the Shenandoah River. Luray Caverns is just a couple of miles away also.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you find your way to south central KY you may want to check out Renfro Valley at exit 62 off I-75. http://www.renfrovalley.com/
There's a campground as well as a number of things to entertain you and a very scenic part of Appalachia.
Happy and safe travels!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It depends on how much money you want to spend as far as camping fees and the size camper you have. Pigeon Forge area in TN has more campgrounds than you can shake a stick at with all kinds of pricing. If you are looking for state parks in ETN, there are a couple that hold up to 36' comfortably like Norris Dam State Park or Cumberland Mountains State Park. Here is the state website for parks - www.tn.gov/environment/parks. Further up I-81 is a nice campground called Lakeview RV Park in Bluff City, TN. Their website is www.lakeviewrvpark.com. It's off the interstate but very nice. Good luck!

Vtxkid

Checkout the Holiday Travel park in Virginia Beach, Va too as it is near the ocean front.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MountainTop

We decided to only consider places we could reach w/i a day or less. The TN State Parks website has been inaccessible for nearly 2 weeks, but we found info about campgrounds in Big South Fork Natl. Recreation Area. So we'll be heading up to Bandy Creek Campground on the TN side of Big South Fork early next week. We're looking forward to a peaceful, relaxing 4 days staying in one spot and making a few day trips. Will keep all the good suggestions offered for future trips. Thanks y'all!

MountainTop

You're right - Cades Cove is a fun place to bike if you can find a time when the tourists aren't causing gridlock. Once in awhile there's a partial day when traffic is banned for a few hours, but once the cars are on the road it's hard to find a safe place for a bike. In the fall it's quite bad b/c the bears are in the oak trees eating acorns and every place with a bear has a traffic jam. Cades Cove is quite beautiful in the winter. We once spent New Year's Day there before we owned our MPG.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry the TN state website didn't work but it seems to be working now from the previous post. I have to right click on the link and open in a new tab to get it to work.
Try another state park called Fall Creek Falls State Park near Sparta, TN. It's a great biking park and the falls is fun to hike down to the bottom.