How do you tie your Power Inverter into a Cyclone 4012 Toy Hauler?

rickj202

Hello,

How do you tie your Power Inverter into a Cyclone 4012 Toy Hauler? What are my options? Please provide a lot of detail. My plan is to use the following:

Quantity 3 24V 230watt panels
MPPT 60AMP charger 12-24V
1500-2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Also how would you recommend mounting the panels to the roof?

Thanks,

Rick

sdrubrecht

Re: Confused

If you dont have an inverter yet, you need to think and plan what you want to power and how sophisticated a system you want. From a simple inverter with an extension cord or 2 running through the coach or just turn a switch and have power to some existing recepticles there is a wide range of options and different inverters. I have the turn a switch option, it required a converter/charger/inverter combo unit, about 2 days of wiring and installation, and around $1500 in wire, subpanels, breakers, inverter unit, etc. Materials only, I did the work myself. That was almost 3 years ago, costs today could be considerably more. If you choose this route and don't truly understand 110 and 12 volt systems, please seek professional help. Mistakes can be costly and life threatening.
Good luck and enjoy your Cyclone, we love ours.
BTW, what do you haul in your Cyclone? We go to the desert down your way with our Tyrex to explore a lot, old gold mines and rockhounding.

rickj202

If you dont have an inverter yet, you need to think and plan what you want to power and how sophisticated a system you want. From a simple inverter with an extension cord or 2 running through the coach or just turn a switch and have power to some existing recepticles there is a wide range of options and different inverters. I have the turn a switch option, it required a converter/charger/inverter combo unit, about 2 days of wiring and installation, and around $1500 in wire, subpanels, breakers, inverter unit, etc. Materials only, I did the work myself. That was almost 3 years ago, costs today could be considerably more. If you choose this route and don't truly understand 110 and 12 volt systems, please seek professional help. Mistakes can be costly and life threatening.
Good luck and enjoy your Cyclone, we love ours.
BTW, what do you haul in your Cyclone? We go to the desert down your way with our Tyrex to explore a lot, old gold mines and rockhounding.

Thank you for your response. I have done some more research and may go with the Gopower 2000w system. If I understand it correctly, it will tie directly into my shore power. Gopower sells a 50amp auto transfer switch that goes in line to the converter, so when the Inverter is on it switches the converter off. This will power the entire trailer that does not exceed 2000 watts.

I ride in Lucerne Valley and Dumont. We have 80 acres near to Johnson Valley. Packed in the trailer is a RZR S, CRF450X, Raptor 700, and BBQ Smoker.

Rick

sdrubrecht

That sounds like an easy option. I looked at Gopower before I did our system, they were more expensive back then and I did alot better buying the seperate parts myself. Gotta love competition for sales.
As to powering your entire trailer, you have a 220 volt main panel while the inverter will only supply 110 volts. You will have to do something to bridge the legs of the 220 to power the trailer with the inverter, then make sure the 220 won't back feed to fry the inverter on shore power or genset. Or you can seperate the circuits. I took one load leg at the transfer switch to power my main panel, then I took the other load leg to my inverter and from it I went to a new sub-panel. I transfered the circuits I wanted to energize with the inverter to the new sub panel. It could all be done at the main panel, but I just felt safer this way. No chance for accidental 220 frying things. On shore power or genset, the 110 flows through the inverter to power things normally. If the Gopower is a flow through type, you could do this and not need the auto-switch, just leave the converter on the shore power/genset leg.

Dumont dunes is on our wish list. From the pics, it looks like fun. Ever stop at Afton Canyon or Basin Road? Water in the middle of the desert is amazing as is the old mining complex at the end of Basin Road.

rickj202

Thanks again. No I have never been to Afton Canyon or Basin Road. I will have to check it out.

Rick

danemayer

you have a 220 volt main panel while the inverter will only supply 110 volts. You will have to do something to bridge the legs of the 220 to power the trailer with the inverter, then make sure the 220 won't back feed to fry the inverter on shore power or genset.

The trailer with 50 amp service has 2-110V legs coming in to the circuit breaker box. You might want to review this material.

crazybanshee

I tied my inverter into one side of the breaker panel and then put the circuit breakers in that side I wanted to power with the inverter. The panels I used alum angle brakets on each corner and just screwed them into the roof with a little Dicor under the bracket. 75 MPH into 50 MPH headwinds and they are still there after 5 years.
Doug