Lippert rv electronic door locks

Bob Vaughn

Has any body installed these new electronic door locks? I wonder if they are worth the expense? Do you always have to use the key pad or fob to open the door from the outside? I thought about going this route but worry my grandkids would not be able to get in to the rv. Plus can a 2nd fob be purchased and programmed?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've had ours a few months. Used it "in action" one trip.

My advice is the keypad is finicky. I have to try many times to get it to work.

Fob seems to work more reliably.

Not sure it's worth the high price but the concept is good, product seems well-made.

I believe you can order the fob separately. Someone said HL installed one on a coach, you might call and see what the price is through them instead of Mobile Outfitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Yes, they recommend keeping a key "outside the coach" in case they don't work. (the lock uses 3 AA batteries, accessible from inside only).

RoadJunkie

I really looked into the option of installing this lock. If you have been reading the issues associated with electronic access on this forum you know there are documented problems associated with the available products. So, I thought, there are enough complexities involved with owning an RV and why should I complicated matters? After all, I have to carry a key for my vehicle at all times, why should I install an electronic access method to access the RV? So...I bypassed this option and leaned towards simplicity. Oh, by the way, others who have installed this lock have had to modify the handrail mounts to avoid conflict when closing the rail during travel. It was tempting, but I opted out.

TravelTiger

Oh yes, check your handrail. If, when folded in, it crosses very near or over your current lockset, this will be a problem with the new one. It protrudes from the door enough that the handrail, when folded, cannot seat properly in its spring-loaded catch. You will have to modify the handrail attachments to the rig. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348795704.186079.jpg
(note the white spacers we added where the handrail brackets attach.)

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
When the keypad lock on our Key Largo malfunctioned(died) several times our dealer took it to "Car Toys" and had an automotive electronic Lock/Unlock actuator installed. It came with two (2) key fobs and has not missed a beat in the last 6 months. I can use my key if necessary - no problem.:)

Last edited by a moderator: