Joining rv resort memberships

joenrobin

My wife and I were at the rv show in Timonium and filled out a free camping raffle for The Gettysburg Battlefield rv resort. We got a call last night telling us that we are getting 30 days free camping if we come to see the resort. I know that free is a dangerous word. I'm sure there is a catch. This resort is owned by Travel Resorts of America. I am looking for advise, should I stay away from this kind of thing?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We received the same call and we were not at the show. We do not know how they got our number, but we got the call.

oldmannj

depends on your ability to use the word NO profusely. Naturally they'll want you to join the resort and I imagine you'll take quite a brow beating on the wonders of the "deal" they are providing. I was silly enough to want a set of steak knives the last time we were in Vegas, cost me more time and aggravation than it was worth. If the place is conveniant for you and you like the area go for it. These places USUALLY make good on they're promises of the freebie.

danemayer

My wife and I were at the rv show in Timonium and filled out a free camping raffle for The Gettysburg Battlefield rv resort. We got a call last night telling us that we are getting 30 days free camping if we come to see the resort. I know that free is a dangerous word. I'm sure there is a catch. This resort is owned by Travel Resorts of America. I am looking for advise, should I stay away from this kind of thing?

Sometimes offers come with fine print or details that you are given after arrival. I don't know this offer, but let me speculate that maybe the 30 days is limited to weekday, non-holidays, not more than 3 consecutive days in one visit, excluding June, July, and August. :)

JWalker

We were offered a similar deal a few years back for 21 free nights at a resort membership campground in SW Pennsylvania. Went for the free nights and fell in love with the place. It works perfect for our camping needs (a great weekend getaway close to home). Found a member that was selling his membership for a fifth of the price and we jumped on it. It has been well worth it.

Good Luck
Jamie

Birchwood

Probably like the free cruise we won that would still cost us $600.I never look at free anything anymore.

frumbawa

.... Found a member that was selling his membership for a fifth of the price and we jumped on it. It has been well worth it.

I forget the name of the chain but we sat through a pitch a year or so ago receiving 30 or so free nights for our time. Like mentioned above, weekdays only, no holidays, 3 days max at a time. Prior to them giving us the membership pricing, the campground made us sign an agreement saying we would not purchase from private party. We knew going into it we would not purchase regardless so we signed just to see that the pricing was. JWalker, sounds like you got a deal.

JRBEN

Sounds like the typical type of sales gimmick you see with timeshares, that offer something for free, usually a free stay. In exchange you have to attend and listen to their high pressure sales pitches. And like what was previously mentioned, there are usually all kinds of restrictions and limitations on the free stay. Depending on you, it could be worth it, just make sure you read any fine print and understand what you are getting into, and what you are obligated to do, before signing anything. Remember, these places don't make money by giving things away. They make money by selling memberships.

JWalker

I forget the name of the chain but we sat through a pitch a year or so ago receiving 30 or so free nights for our time. Like mentioned above, weekdays only, no holidays, 3 days max at a time. Prior to them giving us the membership pricing, the campground made us sign an agreement saying we would not purchase from private party. We knew going into it we would not purchase regardless so we signed just to see that the pricing was. JWalker, sounds like you got a deal.

Our membership is not restricted. 365 days a year. No reservations, it had been great and for the small yearly fee we pay, it adds up to like 6-7 days of camping reservation fees. I have seen, on several occasions, where private parties have offered their membership for sale on the bulletin board at the campground or on Craigslist