What's the down side?

What is the down side to using the sattlight dish and receiver provided by Dish Network? Are they much bigger then say a weingaurd Rv type?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only real down side is having the ability to set up the standard dish. Elevation, skew and orientation can be a little tricky. Also storing the dish and tri-pod for travel.
The carry out units and roof mounted units are capable of finding the signal all by themselves. But at a much higher cost. The dish is free and a good tri pod around $110. The tailgator is about $600 and a roof mounted unit is around $1000.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer the tripod dish setup. There are differing opinions.
For me, the main reasons are that I need three outputs from the LNB and I want HD.
One important thing to consider is that for ease of set up, a good tripod is a must. I use one from TV4RV.com.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I have the dish tailgater satellite and really like it. I just put it on the ground facing the southern sky and it does the rest. I don't use a tripod and haven't found a need to. It was cheaper that some of the fancier carryouts. Downsides would be that it only works on dish, only works in the 48 contiguous states, and you can only use one receiver with it. It is easy to use and only requires one cable as the power for the antenna is provided by the receiver down the coax. It come with a fifty foot cable. Hook it up, plug it in and answer a couple of prompts and you're in business. Probably a ten minute operation start to finish.

MTPockets

I have the dish tailgater satellite and really like it. I just put it on the ground facing the southern sky and it does the rest. I don't use a tripod and haven't found a need to. It was cheaper that some of the fancier carryouts. Downsides would be that it only works on dish, only works in the 48 contiguous states, and you can only use one receiver with it. It is easy to use and only requires one cable as the power for the antenna is provided by the receiver down the coax. It come with a fifty foot cable. Hook it up, plug it in and answer a couple of prompts and you're in business. Probably a ten minute operation start to finish.

Ditto all that..... We've used our tailgater for 7 months now and have no problems. A couple times I had to use my extra 50 ft. extension cable to get far enough away to find a clear sky and it still worked great with 100 ft. total cable. I liked the fact that you only need the cable, no power needed to the dish. We use a fixed dish at our Florida base during the winter and there is no extra charge for that.

GOTTOYS

My Tailgater set-up cost $429.00 including the needed 211K receiver. Downside..It will only receive Dish Network which I have at home so I only pay an additional $7.00 a month for the use of the extra receiver. It will only feed one receiver. On the plus side...It does receive in HD. You can use it with a hard drive to record . (I don't) The antenna is fairly small and only weighs 10#. You do not need to provide a separate electrical source, it is powered through the coax cable. Just point it at the sky and it will find the satellites itself. It is affected by trees and other obstructions like any other satellite receiver. All things considered I just love this thing...Don