Power Awning?

SmokeyLuv

Getting closer to deciding on the Wilderness 2250BH. The trailer I am looking at has the options I want, less a power awning. Questions:

1. In your opinion: Must-have, Nice-to-have, Not-needed cost and hassle? I had a few folks tell me its nice in the rain, wind, etc.
2. After market power awnings seem pricy. Looks like if I really want it, I should include it from the factory?
3. Does Heartland provide an after market options directly to original owners?

Thanks.

danemayer

Hi smokyluv,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here and a bunch of friendly people who are willing to share what they've learned.

My opinion on your questions:

1) when the weather changes, it's pretty nice to be able to be inside pushing a button to retract the awning.
2) aftermarket installs can sometimes involve pretty high labor charges - $115/hr near me - and you may have to drop your trailer off and leave it for a while. I asked about window awnings recently and was quoted 2 hours per awning - which I thought was ridiculous.
3) you may be able to purchase the awning from Heartland after the initial purchase, but you'll have to get it installed locally - same problems.

I'm sure others will add their thoughts shortly.

jnbhobe

Smokey, While the power awning is convienent, I like the manual one. I have one of each on my rig and the manual one will hold up in the wind and rain a lot better. Its also a lot easier to tie down. I wouldn't spend extra money for a power awning.

sjs731

I've never had manual awning so I can't compare that way. Our power awning is nice because DW and kids can both operate it in case I am not around. You have to be careful in high wind because they don't handle wind well. I have started tying ours down if it gets windy. I would go with power again if I was buying again.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidg

I've had both and prefer the power awning, reason being DW can put it in or out when she wants, one less chore for me to do.
Davidg

Sandie

I miss the manual awning. Can use the de-flappers and tie down. I would never get power awnings if I had a choice.

noobee

Smokey, While the power awning is convienent, I like the manual one. I have one of each on my rig and the manual one will hold up in the wind and rain a lot better. Its also a lot easier to tie down. I wouldn't spend extra money for a power awning.

I agree... I've seen too many problems with other owner's power units!

RAHanock

We have had a manual awning on our previous trailer. Have the power awning now. I much prefer the manual. As for my DW putting it up and down, she would need to first remember to loosen the locking knobs and next would need to be able to reach them to do it. Both would be a problem... A manual unit holds up better in the wind if you use the de flappers and isn't that difficult to put up or down.

Our awning now has a bend in it somewhere as it doesn't close correctly. This is due to the fact that I couldn't get some tie downs on it in time to prevent the wind from whipping it enough to bend it somewhere.