Generators... do you reallly need "clean/inverter" type?

PEIFAMILY

Used my 4k watt constructed genny a few times in the past, but looking at one to mount in the back of the truck and to used 1/2 dozen times a year. I can get a great deal on a generator that is not the "clean sine, clean wave inverter, etc, but just a standard generator.

Are they safe to use for our RV's or did I just luck out in the past by not doing any damage? We also have a surge guard if that could be used with a standard generator? Not worrying about the noise as I would be constructing my own box for it.

Been looking at generators, but the standard ones about about 1/2 the price of the clean power ones.

Thanks

caissiel

The only advantage I see with inverter type is the noise level. They can operate on lower RPM due to the DC alternator being used, and the unit is very expensive to repair if something goes wrong. I almost bought one from a friend only to find out it was not operational and he had used it once in 2 years.. It changed my discision fast.
Today I was in my unit and batteries were charging, computer and printer were on and I also run the TV and satelite box.
I run everything on the trailer except microwave and A/C with a 1200Watt standard/conventional power plant. Small and 69db 3 ft away and at 10 feet it is as loud as a normal people conversation.

Most Build in Onan units are not inverter style, as far as I know. Maybe not the newer ones.

PEIFAMILY

Thanks

Went to pick up a hyundai 2000 inverter last week at walmart for around $6, but ended up being gone, hestiated too long I guess.. Leaving here in a few weeks and will need it a few times while boondocking as we make our way down to KS and TX again.

Our walmart has a hyundai hhd3500 generator for $297 (was $445) and also a hyundai hhd1250 for $257.
The 4k I had before, was a bit noisy, but only used when absolutely needed to charge the battery for a hour or so. Have two batteries now and hopefully they will keep the furnace running all night without using it at all. Before, the battery would be dead about 4am and I would need to get up and start the gen for an hour to recharge enough for the rest of the night/morning.

Edit: just read that the 3500 has an built-in auto voltage regulator