Range hood needed?

HappyKayakers

Can anyone think of a compelling reason to keep the range hood? Ours detached itself during our trip from Indiana to Florida. DW doesn't really like the looks of it and the exhaust fan was very weak (IMO). We do most of our cooking in the convection oven anyway. Thinking of putting a 12v, rectangular flourescent light fixture on the wall to cover up the vent opening.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We do a fair amount of stovetop cooking so we use ours often enough. I did, however, change the fan. We picked up a 12 volt, 5" computer cooling fan and replaced the noisy thing that was in there from the factory. The Computer fan does at least a comparable job with much less noise. I suppose if I were energetic I might try and convert the whole deal to a 110 volt home type hood.

Forrest Fetherolf

HK-Joe,

The cook top exhaust fan is not required as per code for residential or RV's. Unless you get a dual motor "super sucker", none of them work very well. I have never used them in any of my RV's, the Fantastic Fan above the kitchen counter will do a better job of exhausting.

How is Florida and Suzanne? Karen and I are in Eugene, OR for the night enroute to Lakewood, WA. Sorry we missed you between SD and FL.

Forrest

madigand

We cook a lot in ours. When we run the stove vent all the neighbors start smiling :) . I use the fantastic vent when using the deep fryer

HappyKayakers

Forrest, Thanks for the input about the code. Florida is hot and humid (but no 'canes on the radar for now) and Suzanne is still sassy, but happy she's back near friends.

Ray and Dan, Thanks also for your input. I think we'll probably just start using the Fantastic Fan more often.

Can anyone think of a compelling reason to keep the range hoods? Ours detached itself during our trip from Indiana to Florida. DW doesn't really like the looks of it and the exhaust fan was very weak (IMO). We do most of our cooking in the convection oven anyway. Thinking of putting a 12v, rectangular flourescent light fixture on the wall to cover up the vent opening.

thats not good, you should try ventless range hood

Last edited: