Stinky Gray Tank Odor

Princess Kathleen

DH and I have been working on getting the stinky gray tank odor out of the Luv Shak, but nothing seems to work. We have done all the ideas from the forum. But none seems to work....it does go away for awhile (10 minutes) then it returns.

We have tried...flushing the tanks, putting a new vent cap on, chemials, dawn/calgon, and just fresh water.....

Does anyone else have an idea(s)?????:confused:

PK

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
PK what about a heavy dose of bleech for a few hours.
It would be nice to have a washout the same as the BW tank
Rand

Uncle Rog

//heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 02-25-2007
//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=443&dateline=1178497812jpmorgan37 //heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_14762", true);
//heartlandowners.org/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon1.gif
Chulinw;
The best way I've found to clean the holding tanks is after you empty them, fill them with about 20 gals of water and 1/4 cup of Original Dawn dish washing liquid and drive to your next stop (over 20 miles) and then dump. It washes the grease and food residue and also keeps the tank level sensors clean. This also works in the black water tank.
John
//heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/quote.gif //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/quickreply.gif​

This sounds like a winner to me.........UR

SmokeyBare

Well if Bleach and Chemials and Dawn didn't work... What about putting in the tank something that helps break down stuff in the Septic Tanks...

My Favorite is Some active yeast. They do sell products that work in a septic system... but I believe some Dry yeast for making bread works. This is not a real solution if the lines going into the Tank are coated with " GUNK " of dishwashing soap and cooking grease. It should help to eat away at the side wall build-up that makes it all the way into the Tank.

I expect the tank should be filled after it's added.... and it should be left to "Work" for a while. Nope.... I have no idea how long or even if it's going to help... but Mother Nature has far better tools than we've been able to blend to eat away at bio-stuff !!

I'd remove the sink trap also to scrape the stuff out and see if it's mostly coming from there.

Good Luck !

ChopperBill

PK, I had the same problem when I picked mine up this spring. Trouble with the tanks is I don't think everything comes out when you dump. Mine would gag a maggot! What I did was run a hose down the toilet to fill the tank and keep dumping it out after it was full. Did that about 6 times until it seemed to run clean. I am guessing the sani-flush system does a minimum rinse job. After I did that I put in a 1/2 can of Happy Camper extreme cleaner and a dose of the Happy camper tank treatment, filled it up and let it sit over night. Dumped it the next day and my stink went away. Now I use a dose of Happy Camper and an 8 oz. bottle of the blue stuff. Ain't taking any chances! Never want to smell that stuff again!

Oops! on edit: That was my black tank. I probably wouldnt put the blue stuff in my gray tank, but would do the rest of the deal.

jpmorgan37

Princess;

We are in ours full time also and the post that Uncle Rog referred to works for us. I do it about every two months when we are on the road. Make sure you use the "Original" Dawn. The newer perfumed stuff doesn't cut the grease and soap residue like the original does. If that doesn't work, find a marine supply and get some Seazyme. That stuff cuts everything. Best stuff for black water tanks I've found.
Hope that helps,

John

Princess Kathleen

Guys this is the gray water tanks...the kitchen and shower/vanity....so no problem with the black tank....

We have been parked for 5 days and the tanks had been opened, but DH decided to shut them on our 2nd day. Last night was when all the phewey smell came through. I do not pour grease down the kitchen sink....almost all dishes are done in the dishwasher....We always do the calgon/dawn thing when we pull out....so on Saturday when we head to Bar Harbor we will do that....

Thanks for all the help...but keep thinkin

PK

We are doing another round of bleach...

jpmorgan37

PK

Check out this thread. Sounds like some were having the same problem with their gray tanks. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=690&highlight=gray+tank+vent

Hope this helps,

John

Princess Kathleen

I read all the threads on this link. Now that we are on our second dose of bleach and the Fantastic fan is off....the Luv Shak smells like a swimming pool chlorine room....

Thanks for all the thinkin
PK

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The vent pipe when run through the ceiling on most trailers the hole is bigger than the pipe and not sealed around. Now on the roof the pipe should be no less than 2 inches above roof per industry standards if this is not so and the area around vent pipe on the roof is not sealed good the air coming out hits the vent cap and back into the trailer. One would have to pull the vent cap to check pipe and if sealed properly. If the trap holds water and its been flushed out good don't know what else it could be. --Ken

Princess Kathleen

Thanks for all the replies....today, when we were pulled over at a rest area for lunch...DH noticed water dripping from the underbelly. The last time this happened we had a leak and had the bad smell. So far today, since we arrived in Bar Harbor ME no smell....but we did give it a calgon, dawn, bleach drink before we left.

Let you know what happens while we are here.

PK