ATF: North Trail - Bias ply tires on trailer

reco

I had a blow out with about 1000 miles on the tires. Had a look at the tires and notices not radial tires but bias ply. The dealer said because of the better side wall construction its a better tire for trailers. Looking at other friends trailers and my old 1998 trailer all have radial tires The trailer I run is a 2011 28 brs.

pegmikef

I thought the side wall on all trailer tires was specifically constructed so it was stronger than that of the side walls on regular car tires. I get my tires at discount tires and they have a pretty good explanation of trailer tires on their web site.

BorgX

I had a blow out with about 1000 miles on the tires. Had a look at the tires and notices not radial tires but bias ply. The dealer said because of the better side wall construction its a better tire for trailers. Looking at other friends trailers and my old 1998 trailer all have radial tires The trailer I run is a 2011 28 brs.
If you're looking for replacement tires, good luck. I tried. I even asked Heartland to change their brochures to show they are NOT radial tires and they still haven't changed it. One of the many reasons I bought a Heartland was because I "thought" they had radial tires as stated in their brochures... (tire size shows the "R" in the size which means radial). They would not replace the tires and still list the size that way.

Just FYI... I would have bought the camper either way, was just disappointed when I found out. Love my camper. :)

hbjersurf

I own a 28 BRS. While on a trip I blew one tire approximately 20 minutes after departing and a second one approximately 3 hours later just 15 shy of arriving to our destination. I was not near being overloaded and I too had roughly 1000 miles on the tires. It seems Heartland may have put some bad tires on some of their trailers. Since original post I blew another one in the middle of the desert. Ugh. The tires are Power Max 205-75-R14. I have since changed them all out and use the Power Max tires for the spare. Hopefully it is not needed.

Last edited:
I have had 8 bias ply tires on trailers and all 8 of them have failed. The failure starts with the tires cupping on the outside edges of the treads and progressively gets worse. It looks like the wear you would expect if the axles were out of alignment. I have never had a problem like this with radial tires.