anode rod's no more in 2013's?

steiny93

Winterized our new 3950 for the first time and noticed that the anode rod in the hot water heater was nothing more then a plastic plug.
Have the water heater manufacturers gone away from the anode rod's?

Lynn1130

Depends upon the make of the tank. As I understand it aluminum tanks do not have or need anode rods. I read someplace that putting a rod in an aluminum tank will result in the rod threads "welding" to the tank making it impossible to remove. Your owner's manual for the tank should give you more specific information.

ILH

That's correct - one less thing to worry about replacing.

My dealer shared a bulletin from Heartland to its dealers regarding the new water heaters. Sorry - its on my other computer.

Wharton

I was surprised when we picked up our Heartland several years ago that the HW heater required an anode. Our previous, year 2000 trailer did not. I thought theyhad gone the way of dinosaurs until we bought the Heartland. About time they joined the "new age". Now for good tank monitors......................

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I was surprised when we picked up our Heartland several years ago that the HW heater required an anode. Our previous, year 2000 trailer did not. I thought theyhad gone the way of dinosaurs until we bought the Heartland. About time they joined the "new age". Now for good tank monitors......................

I kinda thought the same way when we bought this trailer but after seeing the anode rod after a few years use ,makes one wonder what the inside of the Atwood tank looks like, yuck.

TeJay

If the tank is made (Atwood) to not require a sacrificial anode rod then the corrosion does not take place in the tank. Corrosion takes place when three things are present: acid, and two different types of metal. These three items when present create a battery and that is what causes the corrosion. (We all probably have experienced the fork in the mouth with gold and mercury or silver present.) The acid is present in water to various degrees. The two different metals are there by design or because they select materials that are metal and don't concern themselves with types of metal so they install the anode to act as the item that will corrode instead of other parts of the tank. Our 1999 Motor home had an Atwood tank so the technology has been around for awhile. I to am surprised that HL has taken so long to use the better tank or why don't they even offer it as an upgrade to all their lines of trailers. Not very progressive if you ask me.

TeJay

Wharton

In a S&B house we don't have an Anode rod, why the difference? I still drain the trailer hot water tank every few months like I did in my S&B. Gunk comes out, just like the S&B.

wdk450

Is the anode rod related to sulphur smell hot water? I had that last campout, but was able to run water through the HWH twice (heat it up, run hot water into drain until cold, repeat) to get rid of it.

Wmnmy

Is the anode rod related to sulphur smell hot water? I had that last campout, but was able to run water through the HWH twice (heat it up, run hot water into drain until cold, repeat) to get rid of it.
utube has a video on cleaning your suburban water heater to get rid of sulfur smell using 5 gallons vinegar in the winterized lines for your water heater I don't have the link but watched it havnt done it yet as mine dont smell yet but I changed my anode rod after 11 mths and it was down toa wire lol bad water in the desert .

mobilcastle

I don't think Atwood is an upgrade-I have owned both and prefer the Suburban anytime. My Atwood had to be flushed all the time to get the sulfur smell out of it. If you use it to fulltime it may not be an issue. I would rather change the rod. JMHO
Steve

TeJay

Any time corrosion exists you are getting a break down of materials. The corrosive action is at the molecular level and hydrogen sulfide could very well be one of the by products and therefore the egg smell. It also depends on the make up of the water. Our first motor home 1999 to 2009 had the Atwood heater, we only used it part time and we never had the egg smell. I don't know why but it was never an issue.
Good observation mobilecastle if I had the option I would probably have chosen another Atwood but we didn't so we got the Suburban. I guess maybe we got lucky.

TeJay

Willym

The hydrogen sulphide gas (your bad egg smell) comes from sulphur bearing bacteria breaking down in the hot water, aided by the anode rod. Some sites suggest changing to an aluminum rod if you are using currently using a magnesium rod and getting the smell.

To get rid of the odour the water heater can be treated with hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Instructions can be found by using Google.

wdk450

I located the you tube video Wmnmy indicated. The link is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEPy21nIrQ

According to the video the vinegar is to remove tank scale and is done very much like winterizing with antifreeze using your water pump. May try this in the spring before using the trailer.

I'll see how the water is later this month. NorLow's has an unofficial , 2nd Thanksgiving, campout the week after Thankgiving at Bethel Island on the Sacramento River Delta.

ChopperBill

The hydrogen sulphide gas (your bad egg smell) comes from sulphur bearing bacteria breaking down in the hot water, aided by the anode rod. Some sites suggest changing to an aluminum rod if you are using currently using a magnesium rod and getting the smell.

To get rid of the odour the water heater can be treated with hydrogen peroxide or bleach. Instructions can be found by using Google.

The original rod in ours was worn out after the first season. I assume it was an OEM Suburban. I replaced it with an aluminum rod and it still looked relatively new after two years. I replaced it with another OEM and after a few months it was showing lots of wear. I guess we had better stick to the OEM rods.

wdk450

The original rod in ours was worn out after the first season. I assume it was an OEM Suburban. I replaced it with an aluminum rod and it still looked relatively new after two years. I replaced it with another OEM and after a few months it was showing lots of wear. I guess we had better stick to the OEM rods.

ChopperBill: Yeah, its kind of funny about those anode rods - They aren't working right unless they are wearing out!!