Dish Network now Supplying Satellite Internet

pegmikef

It would really be great if it worked with the tailgater and they offered it in an RV package like we use now for TV (e.g., only pay for months you use it)

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Considering that the DishNET satellite internet service is limited data plans and has similar speeds to 4G service. It probably is easier to use a 4G data plan rather than try to setup a dish. Those of you that are in more remote locations, the satellite service is definitely an improvement over other services like dialup

dave10a

Dish has always been the technical leader in the Satellite industry. How ever satellite Inet will not work for me because of the long latency time. I use VPN which transfers smaller packets and for Satellite the one second latency makes it as slow as 56k modem Inet. The other issue is the price of equipment and service. Both of which are historically high priced. For my needs the Verizon Jet Pack hot spot is the best alternative. If one is out of cell phone coverage and 3/4G networks then satellite service makes sense. However, I am not educated on the new Dish service and it could offer better service than the Hughes Net-- I hope so or otherwise I would question the wisdom of their market evaluation. To make the service work with the present small dish would require a powerful Transmitter and precision aiming of the dish more so than simply receiving the signal. The small dish receive LNB would not handle the transmit power required and would require a retrofit--

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
It looks like an entire new satellite,EchoStar XVII, was launched in July 2012 for this new service. It is very possible that the new service is much faster than the old hughesnet service. Although, Hushesnet is now selling the same services for a higher price on the same satellite as dishnet.
Latency could still be a problem though, considering the distance that the signal has to travel from your RV/Home to the satellite to the earth station and then on to the internet and on to its destination.