Suspension Suggestions

MdMike

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4. WE just bought a 2011 Elkridge 29BHCK. All of the weights are within the acceptable range, however the pin weight is almost at the tip of my cargo rating when the camper is loaded.

When I brought it home the other day it seemed to bounce the truck a little bit.

I have had 3 suggestions offerred by friends (only one has a 5th wheel) camper.

1. Install Timbrens on the frame to dampen the bounce.

2. Install a set of helper springs to help dampen the weight and bounce.

3. Install a set of Air Bags to be used when towing the camper.

Thoughts from any of you on this. Experiences appreciated!

Thanks

Tombstonejim

None of those will actually increase the load capability but I would go to airbags because they have a degree of adjustability.

caissiel

For stability I always have a ply or 2 of springs added to my spring pack. It does not affect the unloaded ride if done properly. For best performance I found that backing the main ply is the way to go. But I had to add a second one to take the load of the overloads and that realy improved the ride. Adding spring plies reinforces the rear housing supports and keeps the drive line aligned, preventing vibration.

MdMike

Well we returned today from our "virgin" outing with our new Elkridge... The Air Bags worked like a champ! The Load Lifter 5000 was worth the money. 55 PSI and the ride was normal, no bounce and the trailer traveled like a champ! So I guess my issue is solved.