Travel Through Harbor Tunnel In Baltimore

jwalker1

Are we allowed to go through the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore with our 5th Wheels or do we have to avoid because we are carrying propane in our tanks?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Re: Travel Through Harbor Tunnel In Baltimor

You CANNOT take propane thru the tunnels in Baltimore...you will need to use the Key Bridge On I695...

Camperman

Info from their website:
Propane, Hazardous Materials and Oversized Vehicle Information:
Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels. In addition, vehicles in excess of 13 feet, 6 inches, in height, or 96 inches (8 feet) in width; and all double trailers are prohibited from using the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.

Hope this helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Lived there all my life, and trust me, regardless of size, they will not allow ANY vehicles carrying propane thru ANY of the tunnels.

vakthund

Travel Through Harbor Tunnel In Baltimor

Besides the propane, the width restriction is 96".

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader

Now only if some one would tell Magellan GPS makers that information it would be great. they wnat to send you through the tunnels and down RT 295 towards Washington DC right smack down Pennsylvania ave. Great view of White House from rig LOL

beasleyrl

... and down RT 295 towards Washington DC right smack down Pennsylvania ave. Great view of White House from rig LOL
I've got some bad news for you... You'd be arrested long before you ever get to see the White House. :) DC doesn't like big trucks and RV's anywhere near the White House or the Capitol! And the better news, if you don't get arrested, the really heavily armed police standing on the road near them would simply divert you onto the very small & fun side streets to avoid these areas. Be careful how much you trust that GPS!!!

vakthund

Travel Through Harbor Tunnel In Baltimor

I have worse news for you. You better hope you get arrested if you drive by the White House. It is protected by humorless people who have instant access to solid fueled projectiles that goes BOOM on impact.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

danemayer

I can just imagine towing our RV through the traffic circles in D.C. :p

beasleyrl

I have worse news for you. You better hope you get arrested if you drive by the White House. It is protected by humorless people who have instant access to solid fueled projectiles that goes BOOM on impact.
How true... How true!!!

Westwind

Don't know where your starting from or going too, but I travel the I-95 route from RI to Florida and back every year, last year for the first time (Why) I used Rt-301 some call it the "DelMarVa" because it travels through Delaware, Maryland and Virginia and avoids the Washington DC and Baltimore area along with the Tunnel. I've traveled the Key Bridge also and the Rt-301 is so much less stressful I highly recommend it. If traveling north you can pick it up in the Richmond, VA area, if traveling south you get to it by taking the first exit (Exit 1) on I95 after going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Safe travels.

vakthund

I used Rt-301 some call it the "DelMarVa"
Next time you travel on 301 through Maryland stop in for coffee. I live on 301 just north of Henry Nice bridge. Much nicer drive than I-95 around DC.

JRBEN

I live just outside of Baltimore and take Rt. 301 all the time when visiting relatives in Richmond,VA. Much better drive than the mixing bowl on 95/495 going from DC into VA. When going north, I always take 695 towards Towson, and then 83N instead of 95N.

dave10a

I don't believe the quantity of propane carried on an RV is considered HAZmat, but there are locations that prohibit travel with propane such as the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. I've heard that the law rarely misses an RV that gets past the last exit before the tunnel and the fine is very stiff.
I think the road atlas published by the Good Sam Club lists these restrictions and their web based trip routing service does include these restrictions in the resulting itinerary. Also the POI Factory web page has links to POI's for various GPS devices that are available.

porthole

Retired
Since my GPS never routes me around that tunnel I now have a 695 bridge way point that I "goto" when in the area.

Only takes one side trip through the inner harbor along some of the worst roads I have ever traveled on to not want to make that mistake again.

My way point:
695 TUNNEL N39 13.194 W76 31.471

That number is pretty much in the center of the span between the north and south lanes. That way it works either direction.