Toy Hauler Garage Tie-Downs

TheLindsays

Hello Everyone.... to those of you with toy haulers... we have a new Torque and we are getting a golf cart to haul with us... my question is... what kind/brand of tie-downs do you have/suggest as the best ones .. so my cart will be nice and safe during our trips.
Thanks,
:cool:

porthole

Retired
I use aluminum beveled track. Have it in both sides, down the middle slightly off center and across the front and back of the garage.

If you look in my "mods" link in my signature "thread search" - search for beveled track. I have several pictures there

porthole

Retired
I use 4 straps two in front and two in the back. They cross over each other to keep the cart centered.

TheLindsays

I saw after I posted that some have gone to the track system... we may have to consider that if using straps with the system thats there doesnt work well.
Are there certain brands of straps that are better than others... or is a strap a strap?:confused:

Tool958

I prefer the rachet straps rather than the ones that you pull to tighten. The rachet straps will cinch it down a lot tighter. I didn't buy any particular brand. The main thing is to get the heavier straps instead of the light narrow ones. I bought mine at the local Rural King store which is like a Farm and Fleet. I suppose you could probably buy them online or at a local bike shop too.

porthole

Retired
For my bike I trust the M&R brand - only.
1" is sufficient.

I would not use something from HF to secure 800 pounds in the garage. You get what you pay for.

TheLindsays

Cool.. we will see what we can find ... its true you get what you pay for... we got some rachet straps one time at Home Depot was the best they had at the time but they were thin straps and the second time out got all tangled on and off the rachet.. was a hot mess.. we were busy with supplies in the bed of the truck and ending up just making knots then tossing them when we got home...lol.. I have never been to Harbor Freight but think maybe we will check them out as we had someone buy an appliance from us and he had some nice ones from there... just remember that :) oh.. duh ..just saw you said HF not good... where would I get the brand you suggested.. did you order them online or should I check a bike place? We have one in town close by.. think we will try that tomorrow...

porthole

Retired
Anyone ever use load binders? Seems like they would be the best to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No give. No doubt using binders in our trailer would either brake the bike - cart or more likely rip out the tie downs and then allowing the bike - cart to break.

Most of my MR straps i got a local trailer store, but they no longer carry them. Couple of vendors on eBay carry them and they are always available at bike shows.

http://mrproducts.com/tie-downs.aspx

They are not cheap, but there is a reason why two MR's cost twice what 4 "other" brands cost.
Money spent - I probably have almost as much into the bike as I do the Cyclone :eek:

porthole

Retired
They do make lightweight load binders....Northern Tool.

Have you ever actually held one of those?
Would you trust your EG with that?

The problem with binders is the lack of give. Even after you readjust your nylon straps the first time there is still some give.

But to each their own. Some guys I know put a block under the frame and then cinch down tight on to the block. Watching a trailer bounce down the road would stop me from doing that.

Just my preference, and it has worked well for me, and I have quite a bit tied up in my bike to be careful with it. A heavy weight bike needs to be properly secured if you don't want a surprise when you lower the tailgate.

Quality nylon ratchet straps, quality wheel chocks (for easy on - off the bike when loading) and I let the suspension of the bike carry the load. Meaning I compress the suspension maybe 20-30%

And loose or not properly secured objects in the trailer need to be in check - but that is another story I have.

TheLindsays

Cool Beans.. thanks for the advice... I have to agree with leaving some give to allow for some bounce etc to not break anything... I am sure I will still hold my breath each time we open up after stopping :)