Furnace filter

Gaffer

Never thought about it till today. Is there a filter on the furnace in our fiver?

Willym

No, there isn't. I have seen some owners modify the air return to accommodate a filter though.

danemayer

Here's a quote from one of the Suburan manuals:

Each model furnace has a minimum requirement of return air
outlined in the installation manual. With improper return air, the air volume may not
actuate the sail switch that sends voltage to the module board.

You may or may not get away with a filter on the return. As the filter gets dirty, reduced airflow may result in the sail switch failing to close. If the sail switch doesn't close, the control board won't generate a spark and the furnace won't light. The failure will probably be intermittent making it difficult to diagnose and fix. You'll just notice that the furnace doesn't work right and it's out of warranty. And of course enough time will have gone by that you won't think of the filter as being the cause.:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
although you could , remove air vents and put fabric softener sheets across and then put the diffuser back on
Wouldn't the fabric softener sheets block the airflow? They are not very porous to allow airflow.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
HERE are some FAQ's at Suburban. Although they don't address filters directly there are several references regarding blocking of vents etc that may damage the furnace.

Birchwood

No filter,leave it alone and when it stops working have it repaired.Don't screw with filters as they may cause
deathly problems.

rdupre

It never ceases to amaze me the compromises that ar incorporated into these units. Who, in their right minds would design a heating system WITHOUT air filtration???? In homes this is accomplish with the air return register(s). Sooo, I guess that manufacturers are saying if you have allergies just live (or rather suffer with it).....Personnaly, with the water leaks and now this......going to sell this Landmark and get an appartment.

Last edited by a moderator:

GOTTOYS

I doubt that there is an RV made that has a filter in the heating system. Don't just single out Heartland....Don

danemayer

It never ceases to amaze me the compromises that ar incorporated into these units. Who, in their right minds would design a heating system WITHOUT air filtration???? In homes this is accomplish with the air return register(s). Sooo, I guess that manufacturers are saying if you have allergies just live (or rather suffer with it).....Personnaly, with the water leaks and now this......going to sell this Landmark and get an appartment.

Hi rdupre,

This is not a Heartland design decision. It's a Suburban decision and is probably also true for any other furnaces made by other manufacturers.

Restricting the return airflow can cause the safety mechanisms to shut down furnace operation, which would be very distressing if it happened on a cold night. The sail switch safety mechanism in the furnace protects you by turning off and locking out the gas if air flow is below 75% of normal, which could happen as a filter gets dirty. Without that safety feature, you could end up with an overheated furnace and possibly a fire.

Btw, blocking the return air flow with furniture can cause intermittent furnace lockouts.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have small room sized air filter that we got at Home Depot. It works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Theresau

Ditto here - we have a portable HEPA air cleaner - I have a terrible dust allergy. And we use a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The combo works great.

We have small room sized air filter that we got at Home Depot. It works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rickhansen

If you look at standard efficiency filters, they represent very little restriction as long as they are kept clean. Put one in if you like. Yes, you can potentially have problems with restricted air flow. You can fail to make the sail switch or overheat the heat exchanger. The likelihood of causing a serious problem is pretty slim in my estimation, given how leaky (in terms of air :p ) the basement and utility area is.

I use Filtrete Hammock media. It is a cut to size, high efficiency, very thin media. It's hard to find, and none too cheap. I have it behind the return air grille.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In my 2009 BH3670, the cold air return is above the kitchen cabinets. Putting a filter up there is probably next to useless since the furnace is drawing unfiltered air from the unsealed basement area and underbelly.