Recent purchase of 2007 Trail Runner 2700BHS

kc5mhb

Hi,

I just recently purchased a 2007 Trail Runner 2700BHS. I had intended on pulling the trailer with my wife's 2007 Expedition EL Limited with the 5.4 Triton V8 and 3.73 rear axle gears. As it turns out, it has the standard towing package and not the heavy duty package. The main difference is radiator and transmission coolers. Anyway I towed this camper from Baton Rouge to Percy Quin State park in Mississippi. Not a long ways but flat and minor hills. The Expedition did horrible in the fact I got 5 - 7 MPG running at or above 3000 RPM. I know a lot of you pull with diesel trucks and some with gas so here are a few questions I have.

If you have a 1999 - 2005 F250 Crew Cab Super Duty V10, what are your city and highway mileages pulling on flat ground towing and without a trailer.
Same question goes to those with 1999 - 2002 Crew Cab Super Duty with the 7.3 diesel engines.

I purposely stayed away from the 2003 - 2007 for a couple of reasons. One, I've heard and seen that the 6.0 engines are more trouble than they are worth, and used prices of the newer vehicles.
Basically what I'm trying to do is compare the two engines to what I would be towing with input from those in the forum who already tow an identical trailer. If the gas engine gets the same as the diesel in MPG while towing, then that is all that matters as I won't be doing much mountain towing. Most of where I will go will have a few hills but mostly flat. I'm looking at used F250s on the internet and am trying to stay around the 10,000 dollar range, however the V10s are cheaper and have less mileage on them than diesels and are cheaper to maintain. Also the truck won't be a daily driver, just an occasional driver to keep it running and for when we go camping.

Thanks in advance - I've been looking at trucks for over a week now and I'm burnt on trying to figure out if I want a 250,000 mile 7.3 or a 150,000 mile V10 at half the cost.

jimtoo

Hi kc5mhb,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am moving your question to a better area for answers. You don't have to do anything as the forum has an automatic redirect when you come back to look for replies.

Enjoy the forum and your Trail Runner.

Jim M

kc5mhb

Well its done. Found a 2000 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab in Texas with 58,000 miles on it. I bought it and now have it in my driveway. Its a V10 gasoline engine and overall the truck is really clean and in excellent shape. Found out today that it has a Banks Power Pack system in it. At first I thought it was just the air filter but on further inspection I located the Ottomind chip, Torque tubes (headers) and the over sized cat back exhaust. Although when the guy delivering it to me cranked it up I was a bit suspicious as it sounded like some exhaust work had been done to it. Don't know yet as to fuel economy but I'll be pulling out two weekends from now on a short trip with the camper. Guess I'll find out what my mileages will be. When I do, I'll post a reply.