I Bought a Solar Panel - Now What do I do?

wdk450

Gang:
Since I moved to an outdoor storage lot with no electrical, and I have been thinking about doing more boondocking, I have been checking out the online resources for good prices on solar system stuff. Well, this week I found a solar place in Campbell (San Jose suburb) advertising large power solar panels for $0.70 a watt! Normal prices have been around $2.00 a watt. So I contacted them and got them to hold one of their 220 watt panels for me until I could drive over from Sacramento (about 100 miles each way). I got there and gave him $154 and got a 44 lb., 8 foot by 39 inches by 2 inches wide, 36 volt, solar panel. I checked the voltage output with a voltmeter in strong sunlight, and it was as stated. I haven't tested the current output from fear of harming the panel.

I know I need a MPPT solar controller module which will most efficiently transform the 36 volts DC to correct 4 stage charging levels for 12 volt lead acid batteries. That purchase is pending.

With the 8 foot size, I am not sure I can mount it sideways on top of the Bighorn, I will have to climb up there with a tape and do some measurements and obstruction surveys.

Can solar battery charging work in conjunction with the convertor, or do I need to install an isolation switch on the solar system?

Does anyone else have a system like this, or do you all just use 12 volt panels?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

RAHanock

Re: I Bought a Panel - Now What do I do?

To answer are few of your questions...

Can solar battery charging work in conjunction with the convertor, or do I need to install an isolation switch on the solar system? No, you don't need an isolation switch. The controller handles that for you.

Does anyone else have s system like this, or do you all just use 12 volt panels? We have a similar system but smaller and 130 Watts. It works great. No issues or problems with it. I installed it my self. It's not difficult if you are somewhat handy with DIY projects. Most of the work is routing the wires to the battery compartment.

If you are serious about boon docking, I would suggest you add more batteries to take advantage of your high power panel. We have three. I would also suggest a battery monitor such as this.

http://www.solar-electric.com/trtmbamosy1.html

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

Bill, the short answer to your question is, put it in the sun! Hopefully I can get some ideas here.

wdk450

Gang:
Thanks for the answers so far!!! The 100 degree temperatures here should be gone for the year, but I still need the controller.

A's (How 'bout them A's?) and 49ers games are now getting in the way of getting this done. Along with the Giants, USC and Oregon games. Busy sports season.

Right now I have 4 group 24 deep cycle batteries and a 1500 watt true sine inverter.

wdk450

Well, this project has been going along slowly, but surely. I got the controller, found a supplier of WHITE solar cabling, and got some MC4 style solar panel connectors. I also re-measured and found the panel is 64 inches (5'4" ) wide instead of 8 feet, so there is 3 feet of space on each side to the edge. I added a support brace with double stick foam to the middle of the back side of the panel for more vibration protection for the panel.
I did some measuring and pencil marking on the roof, but the lack of a square and rectangular landmarks made my marking suspect. I went home, and got a bunch of old cardboard boxes and duct tape, and a big knife to make a cardboard template/cover for the panel. This will get the supports put in the roof at the correct places, will protect the glass panel during transport and rope hoisting the 40 pound panel onto the roof, and will act as a solar "electrical switch" to cut off current production during installation and hookup.
I am awaiting some of the CORRECT TYCO-STYLE connectors to mate with those on the panel. I have learned that there are 3, non-compatible connectors commonly in use for solar panels today - MC3, MC4, and TYCO. Each of these has male/female versions, and of course you have to keep your + / - polarities correct.
I am going to mount the panel using 2 inch angle braces I have sprayed white with Rustolieum. I will seal the roof holes/angle iron undersides and screw heads with Dicor lap sealer. I am planning to use 2 - 1/8 inch wing anchors on each angle iron. 2 - #8 screws with nuts will go through the angle irons into the panel aluminum sides. There will be 4 angle irons on each long side.

So right now, I am waiting for the TYCO connectors, need to pre-fab the 2 power cables with the Tyco connectors (I will solder on the other cable ends on site after fishing the wires), and wait for 2 days of rain to clear up.

I am still waiting on a stud location drawing from Heartland service.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I would be glad to get them.

crazybanshee

I used four 3" angle brackets on our six panels and used 1/4" x 1" lag screws into the plywood roof. Ten years and 100k miles without any problems.

boatdoc

Bill, I've mounted several panels on RV rubber roof's and never worried about hitting rafters or some kind of bracing. To my knowledge they are still up there going down the road. I just embed the feet in dicor lap sealant and cover the fastener head. Be careful up on that roof.