LP detector fault alarm

ash

I have a new. Sundance 2900mk that I bought ~3 months ago. Have been having some issues with my protector LP gas detector. Last night it kept chirping. It showed a yellow/orange light which stated was a fault. Would reset and it would stay green for 3-4 hours then start again. Of course no manual and i'm new to this. Anyone have this and any idea what might be causing it??

Gaffer

Were you there for the PDI? If so you should have seen the LP leak test. If not you may have a propane leak. You should have the test done to be safe. You can see what I am referring to by doing a youtube search for RV LP leak test. I ended up replacing mine because of false alarms.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No "end of life" circuitry, it's just the normal life expectancy of the sensors. But that's normally the maximum expected life span, they can and do fail sooner. The gas detectors we carry on our fire trucks normally last a year or two before we have to change sensors (at ~$150 a pop). First Alert CO detectors are now advertising a 7 year life expectancy. Dust, insects, household sprays, and other factors can shorten the life of the sensor.

wdk450

No "end of life" circuitry, it's just the normal life expectancy of the sensors. But that's normally the maximum expected life span, they can and do fail sooner. The gas detectors we carry on our fire trucks normally last a year or two before we have to change sensors (at ~$150 a pop). First Alert CO detectors are now advertising a 7 year life expectancy. Dust, insects, household sprays, and other factors can shorten the life of the sensor.

John:
The manual I posted a link to ( http://mtidealer.stratumsites.com/images/35-742ManualJan2010.pdf ) shows a specific alarm light code for "end of life". Either the sensor output is screwy at that time, or there is a timer. With the new supercapacitors and ultra low current consumption circuitry, such a timer could run 5 years disconnected from the 12 volt supply.