loaded pin weight

kenh

I am thinking of buying a Big country bc2950rk. Does anyone know how much their pin weight is when loaded to travel?

jimtoo

Hi kenh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

The BC2950rk list a GVW of 14,000#, it recommended to have aprox 20% on the pin. And almost all of us travel at max weight with everything you end up wanting to carry. So you will have aprox 2800# pin weight.
The Heartland Specifications list dry weight at 9980#, so min weight is going to be aprox 2000#.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Kenh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great group of people who are happy to share their knowledge and experience.

The Heartland website shows the 2950RK pin weight as 2268, which of course if for the base RV coming off the manufacturing line. The actual pin weight will vary a lot depending on what options you get, how much gear you carry, and whether there's water in the holding tanks, particularly the ones toward the front.

As a rule of thumb, you could plan on around 20% of the GVWR being on the hitch. So for planning purposes, with a GVWR of 14,000, you could assume the pin weight of a fully loaded coach could run around 2800 pounds. You could give yourself a little margin and plan for as much as 3000.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing to keep in mind. Some of the pin weight transfers to the front axle with a 5er.

TedS

Bob&Patty, what does that mean?
Pin weight is that load on the pin after the axles take up their share of the load.
I have weighed my BigHorn and the pin weight is 2740 lbs, 23% of my loaded trailer weight.

Bob&Patty

Ted, your hitch is mounted ahead (or should be) of the drive axle. So when you are hooked up some of the weight goes to the front/steering axle. The pin weight is the pin weight...but...some is transfered to the front. It works the same way as all semi trucks do. It's the OL" teeter toter sydrome. Go weigh your truck axles without the 5er. Same weight when towing, full of fuel, DW. the dog, etc,etc. Then hook up and weigh it again. I bet your steering axle is heavier by 3-4 hundred #'s.

sjs731

My front axle increased 250 lbs with my rig hitched up.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedS

Bob&Patty, I misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you were describing weight transfer to the front axle of the 5th wheel trailer. I agree that some pin weight will be transferred to the front axle of the truck if the pin is a bit forward of the rear truck axle.

Bob&Patty

Ted, OK, I got it. But for the newbies, IF your trailer DOES NOT sit level when pulling and fully loaded, then you are adding more weight to the front or rear axle of the trailer.