Portland, OR to Twentynine Palms, CA

AKConner

We are planning to do our first major road trip with a 30 ft travel trailer. We will be leaving October 29 from Portland, OR to an RV Park outside the Marine Corp base in Twentynine Palms, CA to be with our daughter through the holidays. We are looking for the shortest, most direct route. However, we are concerned about mountain passes that time of year so would like to avoid as many as possible. Does anyone have any suggests for all or portions of this route.

Someone told us at one point to go through Bend on 97, then down to Nevada(?), then into CA. Does this make sense. We really don't want to go through California right now on I-5 due to traffic and current gas prices.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give us.

wino2

Stay off of the 5 by all means. We live in So. California and our freeways are a true nightmare. You can take the 210 East which you will catch just past the bottom of the 5 after the Grapevine to San Bernardino and then the 15 South to the 10 East. If you can in anyway I would travel our freeways thru this area after 10 at night and before 5 Am or between 10 and 2 during the day if you are traveling during the week. Also check for any highway construction and by all means listen to 1070 on your Am stations they give the traffic every 5 minutes very important good luck let us know how you do. If you want any more help send a PM. Be glad to help you. Also the Santa Ana winds could be about that time of year.

wdk450

I like to stay out of the L.A, basin (and all of the urban sprawl and traffic) by going East on Highway 58 at Bakersfield. You need to be on Highway 99 to do this, and there are good eastbound crossover roads from I-5 to 99 in Sacramento, Stockton or Los Banos. Highway 58 climbs up the Tehachapi Pass between Bakersfield and Mojave. This is a moderate grade, 4 lane road, that trucks and RV's use frequently. It is the only pass into the San Joaquin valley from L.A. with a rail line on it.

I usually take highway 58 East to the junction with 395 at Kramer Junction, then south on 395 to I-15; but you can also just keep going east on 58 to I-15 in Barstow. Either way, the map shows a route 247 that connects southeast from Victorville around the North side of the San Bernardino mountains to Twentynine Palms. I am usually heading to Hemet, so I haven't taken this last route.

danemayer

If you're planning to be anywhere in the L.A. area anytime soon, check on construction on the 405. It was planned for some type of closure around now which will create severe problems for the whole area. I think it was going to be closed for more than a few days.

rene_terry

We made that run in May going to Yucca Valley. We took I-5 to 58 (Bakersfield), then picked up 247 in Barstow. We also were looking for the quickest route while avoiding the LA area. Didn't experience any traffic problems but avoided Sacramento during rush hour. Read that gas in NV is .75/gal less than CA.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
AKConner,

First, welcome to the forum! As you can see, there are lots of people here willing to help..

We live in Klamath Falls. Once in awhile, we will have snow and ice to deal with the end of Oct. but usually our passes are ok at that time. If you come down 97, you have a couple of choices going south. You can stay on 97 and head into N. Ca to cut over into NV from there, or you can get off 97 at Klamath Falls and head down 395 to Reno. If you fill up here you shouldn't have to pay CA prices at all on the way to NV. You would also want to take the Alturas route into NV rather than the Susanville route to avoid the drop down into "the'ville" unless you need fuel. The road down is a little steep and narrow, but it's doable. We just like the other route better.

Good luck on your trip. I think you will find that a 30 foot trailer is really pretty easy to handle on the Hwy. unless it is really windy. Even then HL trailers seem to do well. There are lots of high wind areas along your way, so keep an eye on the weather.

Kristy

Gaffer

AKConner,

First, welcome to the forum! As you can see, there are lots of people here willing to help..

We live in Klamath Falls. Once in awhile, we will have snow and ice to deal with the end of Oct. but usually our passes are ok at that time. If you come down 97, you have a couple of choices going south. You can stay on 97 and head into N. Ca to cut over into NV from there, or you can get off 97 at Klamath Falls and head down 395 to Reno. If you fill up here you shouldn't have to pay CA prices at all on the way to NV. You would also want to take the Alturas route into NV rather than the Susanville route to avoid the drop down into "the'ville" unless you need fuel. The road down is a little steep and narrow, but it's doable. We just like the other route better.

Good luck on your trip. I think you will find that a 30 foot trailer is really pretty easy to handle on the Hwy. unless it is really windy. Even then HL trailers seem to do well. There are lots of high wind areas along your way, so keep an eye on the weather.

Kristy

Like Ziggy said. Once on the 395 you can stay on it all the way to Victorville. It is either that or I-5 to Bakersfield then the 58 to Barstow. Check the weather first if you like the Nevada route before deciding to go over Mt Hood on the 26 or down to Eugene and over the 58 (Oregon 58) to 97. 97 to K Falls, 139 south to the 299 and pick up the 395 at Alturas. Sparks Marina RV Park is nice for your overnighter. Then 500 miles to 29 Palms. A long day but we have all done it.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Even if the route over to Bend on 58 is bad, you can come all the way down I5 to Medford and over to 97 on 140. I prefer 140 to 58 myself.

Kristy

AKConner

Thank you all so much! Especially those giving input regarding coming down from Bend to Klamath Falls. I wasn't sure about the mountains that way. I would like to avoid I-5, but not sure which way I would run into the least amount of weather issues. Thanks again! Karen

wdk450

Going from I-5 in Eugene via Hwy 58 East to Hwy 97 is a beautiful trip and gives you a chance to overnight at idyllic Casey's in Westfir/Oakridge. Especially beautiful in the Oregon Fall.