batteries wont take a charge

When I bought my rw305 a couple months ago the tech at the dealer told me to shut the battery power off to the coach while running the genny or hooked to shore power as it may destroy the converter. Is this true? In my research on this subject I havent found anything to corroborate this statement, and the owners manual is all but worthless. I have been hooked to shore power and have run the genny about 30 hrs while battery power is on to the coach and am curious if I blew my converter since my batteries wont charge now. this is a brand new coach so its hard for me to believe the converter is ruined. May be a fuse?:confused:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Welcome to the forum!
Never have we shut the battery power off in 3 years now and we've used generators and shore power a bunch. I think you are probably on the right track with it being a fuse. Someone else will chime in with all the different places and fuses / breakers to check. Your convertor is your battery charger, so it doesn't make any sense to shut power off while hooked to shore power (or genny).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Two things.
One, make sure your converter is plugged in.
Two, there are three fuses on the converter. Check them.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

The answer to the first question is NO Its not true. I never disconnect my batteries unless it is in storage with no shore power. As far as not charging, the converter is behind the basement wall, check to make sure there is 110v power to it and plugged in. There are three ATC 30 amp fuses on the converter to check also. If there is no power at the recptacle check the breaker on the power panel.

danemayer

It's normal to have the battery on when on shore power. Same for the genny if you have a transfer switch. If the genny is external and no transfer switch, it's still likely to be ok as long as you don't have some strange configuration.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm having a similar problem with my 2007 Bighorn. Does anybody know exactly where the converter is located, it isn't behine the basement wall by the docking station. Doug.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's behind the basement wall. Have you looked over on the door side?

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I don't know if this applies for the Road Warrior, but on other Heartland models the convertor is wired through a DC circuit breaker to the Positive 12 Volt Buss. Thus, if this circuit breaker trips, no charge current from the convertor makes it to the 12 volt batteries/system. Here is a diagram from the "Tools" tab above with submenus to the file:
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Electrical/DC_Buss_Bar/Heartland/Buss_Bar_for_LM-BH-BC.pdf

The breaker has a TINY RED button on one end to reset it.

TXTiger

I have only had my rig 5 months now and I am not an electriction. I only turn my batter power switch off while my rig is in storage. When hooked up to shore power or using the generator that came installed in my rig I leave the switch to on. The battery will charge from the shore power or generator. The battery also will charge from the tow vehicle while towing, assuming that you have connected the pig tail to the tow vehicle that is. Not sure if the battery will charge if the power switch is turned to off?