adding a gen to the RV

PEIFAMILY

Ended up picking up a small yamaha to recharge the batteries and power a few small 120v things.

Now.. with my last gen, I used to have to plug my 50A cable into the back of the RV, then run cabling to the front to my truck box where the gen was.. Such a pain..

Is there any way to hook up more wiring to have a plug at the front of the RV as well? I do know how to do some electrical (have done my share). But scared to mess around with the RV until I know it can be done. I never looked yet in the basement to see what is there currently. This would save the headache of getting the cable out if we only want power for a few minutes.

I would be using only ONE AT A TIME so I dont think I need a transfer switch?

Thanks

jnbhobe

It would be easy enough to do, just add a junction box in the basement and wire it in with a jumper to the 2nd leg. I would put it before my EMS. Then mount another plug up front. Some one else has done this if I remember right. Is it legal ?????? but it should work.

RuralPastor

The only safe way I can think of is to use a double pole, double throw switch to isolate the unused source. This would prevent backfeeding power.

hoefler

Does your rig have Generator Prep?? If so, wire into the transfer switch. If not, I would install a transfer switch. That is the safest way, and the only to do it in my book.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I assume that your genset is a 30 amp. I use a 3000K genset that I leave in the truck. I added a 50 amp plug (got it for free) to the front of the coach. Ran a 10-4 shielded cable to the tranfer switch but also installed a double throw 15 amp (30amps combined) breaker in the circuit breaker box. I also made a 10-4 cable to run from the genset in the truck to the front of the coach with a 30 amp plug on 1 end and a 50 amp on the other.

PEIFAMILY

Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

The gen is only a small 120v one (Yamaha EF1000iS) that I would be using just for charging the batteries and maybe recharging laptop,etc..

The RV was not gen prepped.

I know the gen is small, but will serve what we need it for and I like the idea that it will run 12hrs on .6 gallon of gas (25% load). It is nice and quiet too (47db at idle and 57db at wide open)

caissiel

I have installed a 3 way switch on the slide circuit feeding all the power in the living area plugs. The circuit can be powered either by the power plant or the main panel. Also I power the circuit using my 800 watt inverter for television and computers along with all the entertainment system.

In the same area I have an other plug that is connected to the same slide circuit and panel and when I need to charge the batteries from my 1200 Watt powerplant supplies power to the side where the converter is feed. I usualy drop all other 120 volts circuits on the same side and just leave the slides and converter circuit live. The circuit is protected by the 15 Amp while the power plant also has the same circuit breaker.

Attachments

• Power Plant Circuit.jpg
    Power Plant Circuit.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 27