MPG Tire Wear Problem

We could use some real assistance on this one. My wife and I own a 2011 MPG 1984. We retired last year and just completed our second long trip. We have a total of approx. 8500 miles on our Tomax tires and they show excessive wear on the inside of both tires. The driver's side is almost bald on the inside and the passenger side is well into the wear indicators. Both tires will have to be replaced. We are careful on maintenance, check pressure regularly before and during trips, and are not overloaded. I do note that both tires cant or "slope" to the outside (i.e. the bottom of the tires slopes outward slightly, the top inward slightly), which I attributed to the single axle design and additional stability (perhaps wrongly). On a retirement budget we are not real pleased with having to replace the tires so soon. We tow with a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and have no problems in that regard. Any thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated.
MPG Colorado

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mpgcolorado, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Mmy first instinct is to look at the axle. It should be crowned a little high in the center. I know you said you weren't overloaded but have you ever had the rig weighed?
Replacing the tires at this point without finding the cause will only result in premature wear on another set of tires. After weighing the rig, have an alignment shop check out the axle.

Manzan

We had similar wear with a lot fewer miles. 3800 miles and one tire was worn down to the threads on the inside with lots of wear on the others. Turned out we had a bent axle, had it replaced under warranty and our dealer did not like the looks of the other one and replaced it as well. Two axles on our 21 fbs. Tires wearing just fine now-no detectable wear after about 5000 miles.

TeJay

You've gotten some good advice. Here's something else to consider. Look up the Dexter Tor-Flex axle on the net. I really like the design, the brakes are self-adjusting and they are not very expensive. I believe they are around $250- $300. That just might be a good option if your axle is in need of replacement.

Wheel tilt is referred to as Camber and always referenced from the top of the tire. Kneel down on the side of your tire like you were going to take the lugs off. If the top of the tire is tilting away from you that's Negative camber. If the top of the tire is tilting towards you that's positive camber. This is what I told my students so they would always remember. When you stand facing your girlfriend you push her away that's negative. If you pull her towards you that's positive.

TeJay

You've gotten some good advice. Here's something else to consider. Look up the Dexter Tor-Flex axle on the net. I really like the design, the brakes are self-adjusting and they are not very expensive. I believe they are around $250- $300. That just might be a good option if your axle is in need of replacement.

Wheel tilt is referred to as Camber and always referenced from the top of the tire. Kneel down on the side of your tire like you were going to take the lugs off. If the top of the tire is tilting away from you that's Negative camber. If the top of the tire is tilting towards you that's positive camber. This is what I told my students so they would always remember. When you stand facing your girlfriend you push her away that's negative. If you pull her towards you that's positive.

TeJay

Thank you all very much for your good thoughts and suggestions. They are much appreciated and I will follow up on them.
MPG Colorado

Last edited by a moderator:

Tumblebug

For $8 or $10 you can get yoour trailer weighted at a truck scale. They will give you the weight on the trailer axle, the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle. Sometime the results are suprising. Remeber the axle is a 3500 lbs axle, with a max of 3800 lbs for the trailer.. That is the axle of the trailer plus 300 lbs on the hitch. For the Max of 3800 lbs.

1-bad-57

I went thru the same thing with our 184. The axle was defective and it has been a real pain to get it taken care of. Check the ask the factory thread for more info on this problem.
Joe

Nathan

We could use some real assistance on this one. My wife and I own a 2011 MPG 1984. We retired last year and just completed our second long trip. We have a total of approx. 8500 miles on our Tomax tires and they show excessive wear on the inside of both tires. The driver's side is almost bald on the inside and the passenger side is well into the wear indicators. Both tires will have to be replaced. We are careful on maintenance, check pressure regularly before and during trips, and are not overloaded. I do note that both tires cant or "slope" to the outside (i.e. the bottom of the tires slopes outward slightly, the top inward slightly), which I attributed to the single axle design and additional stability (perhaps wrongly). On a retirement budget we are not real pleased with having to replace the tires so soon. We tow with a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and have no problems in that regard. Any thoughts and suggestions will be most appreciated.
MPG Colorado

Definately sounds like a bad axle. I had the same issue. Here is my thread . Lippert replaced both my axles. I believe they warrantee those axles for two years. Good luck.

plumber54

The axles are in fact defective and lippert has been replaceing them. Check on the " ask the factory " posts. There is a problem and they know it cause they have been replacing them at no charge and there has been quite a few. My 183 is in the shop rite now getting them replaced.