Problems

Cheryl

Because of what I read here my husband plans on replacing all the screws in the slideout awnings before our vacation whether they need it or not. So to make it easier to find information on what to look for to prevent any mishaps, how about a sub-forum for people to tell what problems they have had all in one general area. Such as the lose screws, leaks, doors not staying shut, etc.

J

Jeff

Good Idea!

Hi Cheryl:

Good Idea! I'll actually create a separate Forum for Problems on both Landmark and Big Horn coaches.

This will undoubtedly IRRITATE the Factory in a Major way. But, maybe they will slow down their production line some and start working on better Quality Control.

Thanks for the Idea.

Jeff

Cheryl

I think maybe they are just in to big of a hurry to compete with the other manufacturers out there. Hopefully they will realize that quality and not quantity is what is important. People are willing to wait for a product if it is superior to others. But, my reasoning for grouping all the problems together is to help out us current owners, not to irritate Heartland.None
I just wanted an easy way to find what potential problems to look for before our first big trip.

C

Craig Marten

A suggestion on the many problems we Landmark owners are experiencing. I suggest everyone go to the Heartland home site and send them an e-mail. I sent an email to them and got a response back from Scott Tuttle. He noted my suggestions and problems. He did not comment on my suggestion to fix their quality control program if they indeed have one.

If any of the monitorators have an ear at the factory I would suggest they have the factory visit this forum.

My biggest frustration is that I had a Cardinal that cost half the price of our Landmark and had vertually no problems other than a poor dealership. I really believe that if Heartland would fire up all of the systems at the factory they would find the problems and fix them before they left the factory. Sometime when I have nothing better to do I will post the problems I have had.

Craig

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hey Everyone
As Craig stated above, and I quote, IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD WRITE ABOUT ALL MY PROBLEMS !!! It is a shame that Heartland makes such a good product overall, but fails to corret minor problems that are so irritating to us all. Most of which could be fixed relatively quickly and inexpensively.

S

Scott

Quality

Friends,
First of all, I apologize for the troubles that some of you have experienced and expressed in this column.
Obviously, we have failed to meet both ours and your expectations in some of the coaches we have produced. With nearly 600 coaches out there now, I do take some solace in the fact that I am contact almost daily with many Heartland owners who have had nothing but great experiences with their uints.
We are not at 100% customer satisfaction, but I can assure you that we are not happy when even one has problems with our coaches, and are going to repond to make it right asap.
As an owner of this company, I can tell you that we are not here to just sell coaches and move on. We are in this business to build a better fifth wheel make people's RVing experiences more enjoyable.
That being said, we have real human beings putting these things together and they make mistakes. Our quality control inspectors catch the VAST majority of them; our good dealers catch the vast majority of the rest.
With the Bighorn, it has been more of a challenge as the numbers have increased, but we continue to raise the bar for quality in that plant and have just hired a very well qualified mid-line QC guy from a high-end motorhome company who is going to help that line a lot.
And as soon as we find out about issues or design flaws, we address them. We are not perfect, but I know too much about how fifth wheels have been and are being built in this county to not have the confidence that we are on the right track.
The fact is, we go through workers left and right who we cannot allow to continue to work here because of the way they have been trained to accept the lower quality standards of their previous employers.
We hear it all the time, "Well it was good enough at brand X..."

We are not where we want to be - but we are committed to getting there and along the way - we continue to stand behind our products and repair anything that needs repaired.

Complaints centering around components that we simply install in our coaches and happen to fail or become inoperative is something that RV manufacturers will always have to deal with. The only thing that we can do until that time is try to purchase the best A/Cs, Awnings, Refers, Ovens, Furniture, etc. that we can.

That being said, again, I apologize for what some of you have had to deal with on your coaches, and want you to know Heartland will continue to stand behind our coaches and provide the best customer service that we possibly can - while monitoring our dealers to make sure that they do the same.

I Hope you had a good Holiday weekend. My family and I went camping in our pop-up and had a great time.

ST

Cheryl

Wow, I didn't mean to start such a negative sounding thread. I just wanted a convenient place to find information on what MIGHT go wrong so that we can check and make any repairs needed before our big trip in July. I just think it makes more sense for my husband to make minor adjustments to prevent major repair work later. I am well aware that nothing is perfect. My in-laws have had numerous moterhomes over the year - supposedly top of the line everytime - and have always had something to "fix". I guess it's to be expected when you think about it. After all, as my husband says you are basically driving (or pulling) a "house" down the bumpy road and things are going to happen. By the way, even though we have only been able to take ours out for 1 weekend so far, no problems yet. Other than not having the generator prep it was supposed to have - which Scott resolved for us. Thank you Scott. (Huffy's still hasn't sent us a check yet - even thought they received yours - but that's not your fault.)

J

Jeff

Hi Cheryl:

As I told Scott: The best way to plan for your trip is to take along your TOOLS. At least have an electric or cordless drill on hand. Take some screws and Wall Anchors along too.

I know nothing is perfect, but you shouldn't have to fix the RV everytime you go out!

Jeff

Cheryl

No need to recommend tools to my husband. He probably takes along more tools than the average man owns!:D Whenever we go to a mall, he HAS to park at the tool entrance of Sears. I think he is a craftsman tool addict.