roof trusses on a 2007

jarebe

I had a big surprise this morning!I had to replace the dome on our roof vent in the bathroom on our 3200 bhs.when I pulled the inside frame work of the vent off I saw the roof trusses.They are made of wood!We ordered this thing in march of 2006 and every piece of literature including the website at that time was boasting about the all aluminum construction( I even pulled out the brochure this morning, our dealer gave us, and it is written in there).The most important thing we were looking for when we were shopping last year was all aluminum construction.Sundance and Crossroads Cruiser were our choices in this price range.I guess we should have gone with the crossroads.I can't believe a company can put one thing in print and turn around and do the complete opposite.I read on the brochure that spec's are subject to change but you would think someone would tell you when that is a pretty important aspect of the sale.
I don't think I will be boasting or recomending a Sundance to anyone else very soon.:mad:

jpmorgan37

Jarebe;

I'm not sure when a change was made. I remember seeing this post by Jim Beletti earlier this year. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2199&highlight=Roof+Trusses
The same question had been asked back in February and Scott had replied at that time. Here is that thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2194&highlight=wood+roof+trusses

Last edited:

jarebe

JPMORGAN,

I did read that post before that they changed to wood in mid-production of 2007 models.
We ordered ours in March 2006 and full aluminum structure was one of, if not, the most important things we were looking for.
You would think they would disclose that to a customer who is interested in their product instead of hiding it and letting me find out for myself.
If they say mid production of 2007,when does that model year start being produced,we ordered ours in march,which, I think is pretty close to the beginning of the year.If they knew then that they were switching I think they have some responsibility of letting potential customers know that!
They also say to stay competitive price wise with the competition...they didn't offer me any money back or a discount saying"Oh,we're making our product out of cheaper materials now so we can offer it to you cheaper to win you over from the competition."we still paid the price which was written in their original literature touting the all aluminum construction.
The whole thing really stinks for me.We did eliminate other brands of fifthwheels ,which were cheaper priced but had the similar floor plans, because of not having a full aluminum structure. maybe we should have gone with one of them,at leats we would have known what we were getting and not had a big surprise.:mad: :mad: :mad:

ChopperBill

We ordered our Bighorn about the same time as you did. Have an emblem by the door that says "Aluminum Superstructure". Even has a picture of the frame as all aluminum. Guess I would be upset if I took a vent out an saw a wood truss roof. Scared to look to tell you the truth. :eek: Our "06" was about the last one built and by January of "07" the "08's" were introduced. Took a two year hit in about 8 months. Not that it might make you feel any better but lots of good quality campers are made of wood. Our Snowriver truck camper is and there is no better structurally sound TC. It is built like the "brick" out house.

Bob120

Is there an easy method to determine if the floor and roof are wood or aluminum? Can the factory tell by the build date? My 3200ES was built April 29th 2006. Like many other posters, I purchased it on the understanding that it was an all aluminum frame and if I were to sell it some day, I would not want to misrepresent this to a future purchaser.