Constant Dampness in the storage bin by the UDC.

Sandpirate69

I know i've posted about this problem before. The bin next to the UDC with the aluminum cover is always damp or wet. Now I have a Penisillin farm. The mold & mildew smell is horrible. I've even taken the the aluminum cover off and it will not dry off. The temp here is at 97 and humidity at 98%. There is no visible water leaks into the rig. So the only thing I can think of is, condensation. But i'm going crazy with this problem. I've even placed a bag of charcoal in the compartment to collect the moisture. I'm about to take it to the dealer, FRUSTRATED :mad:. Can someone out there help out or have any ideas, it would save me a 100 mile drive to the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

RW305Bin1.jpg RW305Bin2.jpg RW305Bin3.jpg

Thanks

Ivan

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not at all familiar with your Road Warrior aluminum box, but I do have an idea.
Condensation occurs when certain conditions are present. Cold surface meeting warm surface and/or the presence of humidity.
If the inside of you box is open to the basement and the outside is open to the outside, and you are using your AC, then you may have the warm surface meeting the cold surface. This could cause condensation, allowing the growth of your penicillin factory.
So, there are two things I would consider doing. One would be to insulate the outside of the aluminum box using 1 inch foam or try to warm and dry the inside of the box by using a low wattage light bulb inside of it.
Don't know if that will work, but it is worth a shot if it might apply to your situation.
Remember, I have no clue about the aluminum box.
Hope that you somehow get that resolved as there is nothing worse than a moldy smell.
Oh, and I would also clean the box with bleach.

Peace
Dave

CeeCee

I don't know if this is of any help but I was getting dampness in my storage compartment. I put gutter guards on & that solved my problem.

Sandpirate69

In the first photo, the bottom is the leading edge to the "Slam Shut Door" for the basement on the UDC side. I would leave the door open for a day & it would dry out. But, I don't have it at home now it's at a storage facility. I just moved and i'm waiting for the contractor to lay the cement slab, so I can park it at the new house. The strange thing is, there is no water leaking from the door or the bottom. The only thing i can think is that the basement stays cool too long in the mornings as it gets hotter outside. I'm not a Biologist, maybe that's it. I know that on some newer models, that storage bin had the aluminum bin cover removed.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
While you are finding a permanent solution, this is a product I have used to control dampness and it works well. I usually keep one open near the UDC if I am in damp climates.

I suggest getting the big buckets.

http://www.damprid.com/

It's available at Walmart and Home Depot. Trace

Sandpirate69

A friend of mine just text me the same idea you just gave me. I may a need a 50lb bucket at this rate. I'm headed to Walmart after lunch. I will update this post, after I try the Damprid. Thanks to everyone for the ideas & thoughts.

Ivan

porthole

Retired
Your water is coming from two areas because from different reasons for a common build design.

The "tool box" which is useless for tools because of the water intrusion, is a carpeted piece of wood with the aluminum lid to help keep the moisture in. The bottom panel sits on or is very close to the aluminum J-wrapping under the trailer.

1) Getting sloppy with the water connections in the UDC. The water runs out the pie plate and down between the inner and outer pie plates. Because the lower plate is actually inset into the J-wrapping about 1/2" the water cannot drain through the plate. So it runs towards the front or rear, depending on the trailer level. Towards the rear -OK. Towards the front - right into the sponging ability of the carpeted lower panel of the tool box. You know the rest.

2) from rain water being kicked up into the j-panel while traveling. Same result. Water up above the J-channel being wicked up by the too low tool box lower panel.

In the rear of the box I built a dam to stop water from hitting the box.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135046&viewfull=1#post135046

For the front, I really haven't tried too hard to figure it out. It is only a problem if caught in the rain. But, reading this thread today remanded me to go check sine we were in some heavy downpours coming home from the Copake, NY rally. And my box is wet and now airing out once again.

Sandpirate69

Duane, that does make sense. My only question, then why is that box wrapped with that black plastic? Is that supposed to make it water proof/resistant? I'm going to wet/dry vacuum it and measure inside there. I will do the same as you did. I have some soft aluminum sheet that can be shaped to fit easily. Once again, thank you for your help.

Ivan

Hi all, you might want to see my post today on the Big Country sub-forum regarding resolution of my water problems. The thread is "Issues with my BC". My solution to the basement condensation is to purchase a dehumidifier. See other post for more details. Will post here also when it arrives from Amazon and is up and running a while. i wanted more permanent solution (though costly) than DampRid...We'll see how it works.
Annie

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
My Elk Ridge has the same problem from day one. Obviously, no tools in there. I believe it is mostly due to the aluminum cover. I keep small junk in plastic containers in it and nothing that will corrode or grow things.

jmaguire

My Eagle Ridge had the same problem. I tried everything and had exactly the same issues and tried the same solutions as everyone else here. I had the entire frame and door assembly for the storage/udc area removed and re-sealed properly. I have not had an issue since. There was no visible signs that the door was not sealed properly, but one of the techs at Midway RV in Salisbury, MD. told me that was it. I didn't fully believe him at first but it hasn't leaked since and is dry and clean. I think Heartland knew about the issue because they covered it under warranty. There were a few posts about the issue a while back. Many people had the same issue.

Sandpirate69

Well i have tried everything to solve the dampness/mold issue in the tool box next to the UDC. I'm taking the rig to the dealer tomorrow. I've had all I can handle, as well as the musty smell that gets into the rig by the vent under the entertainment center, where the heater blower is located. I've spent numerous $$$ on Damprid & other methods. Over it.
:mad:

Sandpirate69

Problem solved. 1) placed a piece of alluminum like porthole said 2) fixed a leak on the pipe that goes to the black tank for flushing. Now no more dampness or mold. I guess it takes a lot of head banging and cursing to get the wheels turning. The sailor in me came out & wala.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Problem solved. 1) placed a piece of alluminum like porthole said 2) fixed a leak on the pipe that goes to the black tank for flushing. Now no more dampness or mold. I guess it takes a lot of head banging and cursing to get the wheels turning. The sailor in me came out & wala.

The dam alone did not solve my water intrusion.

See this post (and the one after it).

This change has eliminated the wet wood, carpet and mold. In the year since doing this I have only seen a couple drops of water in the compartment, and that is probably from me and "water system" accessories.

The box is trimmed out fairly snub, but there are tiny gaps on the bottom that would allow any water in the box from accumulating.
I'm reasonably sure the water intrusion is a combination of water coming from behind the box under the UDC (that my dam stopped) and water wicking up from road spray in the front.
What I don't get is that many similar trailers have the same issue, but only on the left side storage bin.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=302008&viewfull=1#post302008

Sandpirate69

So far so good for me. But as usual these rolling houses are subjected to many bounces and road jarring. So I know this will be temp fix, until it starts leaking again. Looking at trading it in next year for another RW or maybe a Cyclone.