Converter's Quit

BarneyFife

The Cyclone has been plugged into the house outlet this week. Its 15A but keeps the fridge and stuff running in-between race weekends.

The converter appears to have quit. 12V power is almost gone. Normal 110 is fine.

I'm working the fire station tonight so I won't be able to check into it until tomorrow. Does anyone know exactly where all the fuses are? A friend who has a class C says he has several, including one hidden on the converter itself.

I'm just hoping its a fuse or something and not the converter itself. But with my luck....... :p

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converter, there are three fuses on it. There is also a breaker on the panel for the converter, as well, since it runs off 120V to provide 12V to the rig and charge the battery. They've also been known to become unplugged from their outlet in the basement, so take a look at that, too.

Additionally, I'll guess here, that if you're plugged into a 15A outlet to run the fridge, using adapters on your shore cord, it's possible that you're not feeding the circuit that has the converter on it. If you can, try plugging an extension cord directly to the converter and see if that does any good.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are three fuses on the converter.
You might also want th check the bank of breakers near the battery. Look closely (feel) for one that has a tiny manual reset button on it.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

I am having the same issue with my 9265. Tried the fuse thing, all three were good. took it completely out and plugged it into a different outlet. No output period. Now what. New one I guess.

jbeletti

Rick,

I think Progressive Dynamics has a trade-in program for some level of savings. May want to give them a call before buying one at the store.

BarneyFife

I feel so frustrated for something that should be simple. Does anyone know where my converter is on the Cyclone 370C? I've followed electrical lines everywhere, removed countless panels, and pulled part of that saggy underlining underneath the camper. Still can't find it.

jnbhobe

pull the wall in the basement it should be on the to the wall beside the steps

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I am not familiar with your Cyclone, the converter is normally found behind the wall that is in the basement.

Peace
Dave
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Urban350

The converter in my 300C is behind the wall in the basement storage on the right side of the trailer.

danemayer

The converter powers the battery and the 12V fusebox, and it gets power from the 110V circuit breakers. It's usually somewhere nearby those 3.

BarneyFife

I did find the converter. As Tim stated, it was also behind the wall of the basement on the drivers side. All three fuses are fine and the plug was secure in its outlet. All breakers and fuses in the camper are fine.

I had to leave for a few hours so I removed the battery and put it on a charger. I will reinstall this evening and start checking voltage per the manual. It is indeed the Progressive PD9200.

BarneyFife

Unless I've done something wrong, here is what I have. The battery is still on the charger separate from the camper.

Output at the outlet for the converter is 119.5 volts. With the battery removed, I checked the wires which connect to the battery. Right around 8 volts. I'm assuming my converter is going bad. Correct?

jnbhobe

If you indeed have a bad converter you can get by, by charging the battery and reinstalling it and leave the charger hooked up to the battery. That will get you by till you get another one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have only 8 volts at the battery terminal clamps, it sounds like a converter problem.
You might want to check with Progressive Dynamics. You may have a two year warranty.
At least you have identified the problem and are one step closer to getting it fixed.

Peace
Dave

BarneyFife

If you indeed have a bad converter you can get by, by charging the battery and reinstalling it and leave the charger hooked up to the battery. That will get you by till you get another one.

It does appear to be a two-year warranty. But no surprise here. Three water pumps, two bedroom AC breakdowns, a major tire explosion, and the rear stabilizer jack still out. This camper has been cursed since day one.

If I do the charger trick here, can I leave the converter plugged in as usual or do I have to unplug it? In other words, can I leave it just as if everything was normal but the charger is hooked to the battery?

rick_debbie_gallant

I had my 9260 puck out in the maritimes last month. Did not feel like digging into the belly so bought a battery charge and hooked it up. Make sure u get a good automatic charger though.

jnbhobe

It does appear to be a two-year warranty. But no surprise here. Three water pumps, two bedroom AC breakdowns, a major tire explosion, and the rear stabilizer jack still out. This camper has been cursed since day one.

If I do the charger trick here, can I leave the converter plugged in as usual or do I have to unplug it? In other words, can I leave it just as if everything was normal but the charger is hooked to the battery?

Yes you can just plug it in and you'll be fine till your parts come.

BarneyFife

One more quick note I should have mentioned. We'll be on generator power this weekend. Our races are out in the middle of nowhere and if you don't bring water and power, you do without. I'll have a good charger and I'll also bring my big jump starter just in case. But with being on generator power, that shouldn't cause any additional issues, should it? Once we start it the first time, it won't be turned off til the next day when we leave.