fiberglass behind hitch pin box

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
the fiberglass cover between the front compartment and the hitch pin box below the front overhang ( confused yet ? ) is sagging . the latch for the compartment is screwed into this cover , and it seems to be solid . when i push up on it , it hits a solid backing , and no water ran out . question , can one screw into this using self tapping screws and fender washers to pull this back into place . any info would be appreciated . thanks , have a Blessed day , al weaver

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

I have been thinking about that myself. Let us know what you find

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TedS

I put some screws into the edge of that cover around the pin box because I was not satisfied with the few that were there. I predrilled the steel structure and then installed self-tapping screws. You might try to peek in from the pin box opening to see where the structure is. I too see the sag but not too concerned about it yet. It looks funky, that's all. It seems like the cover should be better, more attached. I guess it may flutter due to air buffetting as you tow.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
mine seems to be sagging more towards the center . it is tight at the pin box and along the edges except on the curb side there is a few wrinkles . i noticed it because the cargo door handle hit the cover before the latch would engage . if i hear more , i will advise , thanks for the replys , have a Blessed evening , al

Last edited by a moderator:

TedS

I bent my door handle, finger loop, a little tighter so that I could engage the latch without the door handle hitting the under cover.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I believe that the fabric in the front of the trailer is not fibreglass on my and I don't think on any of the 5th wheels. It is a fibre board with a hard finish. I don't know exactly what it is called. I had the problem with the fibre board dropping down due to water leaking in from the edges caulk seperating. I had to have mine replaced. I am not sure that putting in a screw will solve the problem, especially if water is leaking in from the outside edges. These are show in other threads here on the forum.

BC

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Thanks for all the replys , I have not had any water run out , edges seem to be sealed , just a droop in the center . I am going to try some self tapping screws w/ fender washers and see what happens . will advise out come . have a Blessed weekend , al

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine also droops on the DS of the overhang. There is no water in there, either, it's just not attached like the other side is with the latch. I'm pretty sure the framing under there is identical to this photo of a Big Country under construction, so if you locate a framing member, you should be able to run a fastener into it. It's on my "roundtoit" list.

View attachment 21643View attachment 21644

jnbhobe

good pictures John lets me know what I'm looking for I have to do the same thing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Mine also droops on the DS of the overhang. There is no water in there, either, it's just not attached like the other side is with the latch. I'm pretty sure the framing under there is identical to this photo of a Big Country under construction, so if you locate a framing member, you should be able to run a fastener into it. It's on my "roundtoit" list.

View attachment 21643View attachment 21644

Thanks JohnDar , your pics are a real Blessing , keeps me from having to take my cover down , measured beam from side to side and front to rear , used self tapping screws w/fender washers , puled up tight and removed sag , thanks again , have a very Blessed week , al weaver

Steadfast

We recently had ours replaced under warranty in our 2011 BH. The new replacement skin had no wood product in it, so Hartland has apparently updated the material used.
Craig