Idea for improving stereo sound

regan

Regan
Took delivery of our new 2008 Bighorn 3400 RL. When we played the stereo, found the Colby unit is junk. Replaced with better unit. When removing Colby unit found a wire leaving that said "subwoofer". Could not find subwoofer. Finally took firplace out, to find sub hidden behind. Take the sub out, run wire out under desk, and put sub out where it can do its job. We actually replaced with powered sub. We put in a Sony Receiver, (about $200.00) and bought a stand alone Sony DVD. Then you can use the HDMI input/output to TV and you will have a better DVD picture.

But again, you can just take the stock sub out from being enclosed, and you will have better sound from the stock unit.

caokgafamily

Regan,
We have a 07 3400, I agree with you about the colby. I've been wanting to do the same thing with ours, replacing everything. Did you replace all the speakers ? How did you remove the FP to get to the sub?

regan

Regan
caokgafamily said:
Regan,
We have a 07 3400, I agree with you about the colby. I've been wanting to do the same thing with ours, replacing everything. Did you replace all the speakers ? How did you remove the FP to get to the sub?
I have not replaced the stock speakers yet, I found that with just putting in a new sub where it could work gave good sound, but I may upgrade the speakers later. FP is very easy to remove, pull the 4 wood caps that hold on the trim, A single screw and retainer at the top of the glass can then be removed, FP glass comes out, and then one screw on each side is screwed into wood, take those out and the whole FP comes out. Be very careful with the screws that hold the wood trim on under the caps, they are very thin, and break easily, I replaced them after the first one snapped.