Stinking cable connections in UDC

wildwolfproducts

Anyone else hate the way there cable connections are in the UDC? Mine are hard to work with and the flaps that did cover mine were always in the way. But glad they fell off, still a job to screw the cable connection on the deal. So I ordered a bunch of these to put on them. Give's me a 90 degree fitting to screw the cable on. Thus easy to swap between the cable from the auto Sat dish to the one we use when the auto can't get a signal in the trees.
Being I always drop one of these couplings anyway:mad:. I thought order them in bulk http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=5281#.UHnvBsW5OSo

and have them on hand.:cool: I had one that was old and used so will swap it out when these make it in. If anyone else has a better ideal on these please let me know.
Pete

danemayer

Pete, I use this tool to install and tighten, or loosen and remove coax connectors. Works with most cables, except the ones that have great big molded shoulders. I cut them off and replace with compression connectors like the satellite companies use.

wildwolfproducts

Pete, I use this tool to install and tighten, or loosen and remove coax connectors. Works with most cables, except the ones that have great big molded shoulders. I cut them off and replace with compression connectors like the satellite companies use.

Thanks Dan I will look into those. But may just stick with the 90 degree fittings. As they make it easy. Guessing some people with small hands would not have any issues. And with that took may be a breeze also.
Pete

wdk450

The connector you linked to says that it is an SMA connector. I have always heard the TV video connectors referred to as an "F" connector. Are you sure this is right?

I like to use push-on F connectors for these cables I frequently connect/disconnect, although they are known to not make as reliable a connection as the screw-on F connectors. Here is a link to the Radio Shack F push-on adapter: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103463

Anyone else hate the way there cable connections are in the UDC? Mine are hard to work with and the flaps that did cover mine were always in the way. But glad they fell off, still a job to screw the cable connection on the deal. So I ordered a bunch of these to put on them. Give's me a 90 degree fitting to screw the cable on. Thus easy to swap between the cable from the auto Sat dish to the one we use when the auto can't get a signal in the trees.
Being I always drop one of these couplings anyway:mad:. I thought order them in bulk http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=5281#.UHnvBsW5OSo

and have them on hand.:cool: I had one that was old and used so will swap it out when these make it in. If anyone else has a better ideal on these please let me know.
Pete

TedS

I use the push-on 90s on my cable ends that get pushed on to the UDC connector. They are easy to put on and take off and take the strain away from the cable by letting it hang down.

ILH

A while back in the summer I started a thread about how hard it was to screw / unscrew the cable connections. Lots of helpful folks pointed out the Radio Shack push-on connectors. I went out and bout then right away... love 'em!

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is a good (and funny) article about this very subject, by Mike Levitt in the fall version of RV Journal (Page 12).

Just read it today, if you can get your hands on a copy. I looked for the article on line, but I can't find it. Trace

porthole

Retired
I have been using the RS version of the above listed push on connector in the 90 degree format for years. Previously on the boat and now on the trailer. They are relativity cheap, especially compared to the convenience. And when the "spring" gets weak I just swap it out.

No need to fight with the UDC input.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was at Lowe's the other day and cleaned out their stock (all 5 of 'em) of push-on F-connectors...for next season. On another note, I received the six double pin LED bulbs for my wall sconces yesterday. Gotta go out to the storage yard and check them out.