New San Antonio

Raquel

We did it. We went down to the dealer today and ordered our new San Antonio. It's supposed to be 45 to 60 days before we get it, but it's coming! :cool:

jimtoo

Hi BigJim45,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hope you have a great time with your Prowler. Please think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending rallies where you will meet lots of great folks and eat lots of food.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

(Wife has sister and kin in Redding. Bridge Lane close to you?)

jbeletti

Congrats ed47 and Trish & Raquel. The San Antonio is an awesome coach. And it's LONG! :) I used one as a demo coach for an entire season. Love that entire upstairs the best with the split bath and spacious bedroom.

Enjoy them once you get them and take turns really wide while watching your RV tires in the mirror.

Hope you both join the club and start joining us at rallies. We want to see your new beautiful coaches!

Jim

dave10a

We did it. We went down to the dealer today and ordered our new San Antonio. It's supposed to be 45 to 60 days before we get it, but it's coming! :cool:

Mine does well and I have 10,000 miles on it. Make sure you inspect it carefully (especially the axle alignment) before you accept it from the dealer-- good luck and enjoy it.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Bridge Lane is about 5 miles from where we live.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hope you have a great time with your Prowler. Please think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending rallies where you will meet lots of great folks and eat lots of food.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

(Wife has sister and kin in Redding. Bridge Lane close to you?)[/QUOTE]

Raquel

Congrats ed47 and Trish & Raquel. The San Antonio is an awesome coach. And it's LONG! :) I used one as a demo coach for an entire season. Love that entire upstairs the best with the split bath and spacious bedroom.

Enjoy them once you get them and take turns really wide while watching your RV tires in the mirror.

Hope you both join the club and start joining us at rallies. We want to see your new beautiful coaches!

Jim

Jim,

We really fell in love with the split bath and the large bedroom. We visited other coaches where there was just barely room to scoot around sideways and they just weren't for us. I know that we don't live in the bedroom but, it's still nice to have the room to move around.

We bought our truck April 1 and purposely waited to get our coach so that we could get used to driving the truck. As you might guess, there's a HUGE difference between driving our GMC and the Volvo. Watching the truck's tires is something we've gotten used to. Adding the coach is going to be a whole new experience but, at least we've got a good handle on the truck part. I bet that we're going to be super paranoid at the first!

Trish still has 3 years of work before we can start traveling too much. I have no doubt that we'll be attending some rallies but, we have to work around 3 weeks of vacation time and visits to family (granddaughter + my son) up in Portland.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Word of caution with that HDT...be sure you have either an air hitch or an air pin...we learned the hard way, that a cushion is required when towing with more than a 1 ton truck.

Raquel

Hi BigJim45,

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

(Wife has sister and kin in Redding. Bridge Lane close to you?)

Hi Jim,

We're east of Chico. I think it's something like 95 miles south of Redding. I'm sure we'll have a great deal of fun with our San Antonio. We're really excited! Our plan is to move into it and move between local parks every month or so while Trish is still working (about 3 years). Then we're off to "Parts Unknown".

Raquel

Word of caution with that HDT...be sure you have either an air hitch or an air pin...we learned the hard way, that a cushion is required when towing with more than a 1 ton truck.

Thanks. Yes, we have an air hitch (ET Hitch). The rear end is so stiff on our truck right now that it would probably tear the coach apart. 3000# of pin weight is nothing to our truck. We'll be a deck ... and probably a Smart Car ... but it's still not much for our truck.

dave10a

How does one check the axle alignment without taking it to the shop to be checked?
A quick and easy way would be to measure the end of the axle on each side with a tape measure. If it is more than a quarter to half inch difference on level ground be afraid, very afraid :eek: that would provide concern enough to have the alignment checked by laser at a reputable shop. Mine was out over 1.5 inches which caused feathering on the rear tires because the hangers were not installed by whom ever properly and requires a hassle to get it repaired. If you accept the trailer and there is a problem with alignment that may not be noticed until tire wear shows it is abnormal, you my be out of warranty by that time-- depending on the miles you drive in a year. Then you either have to put up with high tire wear and possible blow outs or pay to have it repaired.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a very unscientific way of checking the alignment. There is too much room for error.
For this to be at least somewhat accurate you will have to be sure the trailer has been pulled in a straight line for a while. If it has recently been in a turn the axles may be torqued and result in a false measurement.
Also, it does not check the axle alignment to the pin.
It also does nothing to check camber or caster.
Remember, this is just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

Raquel

A quick and easy way would be to measure the end of the axle on each side with a tape measure. If it is more than a quarter to half inch difference on level ground be afraid, very afraid :eek: that would provide concern enough to have the alignment checked by laser at a reputable shop. Mine was out over 1.5 inches which caused feathering on the rear tires because the hangers were not installed by whom ever properly and requires a hassle to get it repaired. If you accept the trailer and there is a problem with alignment that may not be noticed until tire wear shows it is abnormal, you my be out of warranty by that time-- depending on the miles you drive in a year. Then you either have to put up with high tire wear and possible blow outs or pay to have it repaired.

Does your 2012 have the "Correct Track Alignment System"? Or, was that new for 2013?

dave10a

That's a very unscientific way of checking the alignment. There is too much room for error.
For this to be at least somewhat accurate you will have to be sure the trailer has been pulled in a straight line for a while. If it has recently been in a turn the axles may be torqued and result in a false measurement.
Also, it does not check the axle alignment to the pin.
It also does nothing to check camber or caster.
Remember, this is just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

Sorry it was accurate enough to determine the hangers were out of spec......

dave10a

Does your 2012 have the "Correct Track Alignment System"? Or, was that new for 2013?

Mine did not have anything but factory welds. Correct track alignment is not acceptable because it adds 2 inches of height. The trailer is already too high and doesn't need any help. The factory should be able to position the hangers accurate enough that after market kits are not needed. My dual axles horse trailers never had an alignment problem. To me improper hanger welding is sloppy workmanship and Heartland should inspect the frame when they receive them from the vendor.
I am not trying to bash Heartland, but simply pointing out what to watch out for when buying an expensive trailer. Especially when the emotions of buying something new can outweighs the need to be demanding of proper workmanship.
If the 2013 units have a means like Correct Track then it would be a more simple to align the axles, but I would check the alignment anyway because inspections seem to be lacking at Heartland--- but trust and verify.

K

karykatz

the Correct Track allignment system was offered on 2013 models built the week of August 15th 2012.

I hope this helps.