Better/adjustable A/C ceiling vents

dljcyoung

I recently purchased a Big Country 3250TS and the air conditioning air flow is inadequate in the bedroom (only one A/C unit). Am trying to figure out how/where to purchase closable ceiling vents to force more air into the bedroom at night. Closable vents in the living room would do the trick. But I have found that the ceiling vents in the Big Country are extra large....7 inches versus a 6 1/4 inch (approx) that you can buy at RV Supply stores. Any help or ideas to correct this problem are welcome. Thank you. Dennis

RugRat

I would expect that the Big Horn design is similar to the other Heartland products and there is a modification that you can do that will force more air into the bedroom area. I have seen it called tent in the vent and I believe someone had pictures of the process. I did it and it resolve my air flow problem in the bedroom. Do a search on the forum or I am sure someone will jump in here with the link.

v92c

Texan
Try this link //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1069&highlight=tent

TIMK has led the revolution in Air Conditioning duct modification. I spent less that $20 for tools and materials, sheet metal, metal tape and metal shears. Well worth the effort.

RugRat

v92c - that was the thread I was talking about. Give it a try - it works great and will help resolve the airflow problem in the main bedroom. I went from feeling no air in bed to being able to feel the flow.

dljcyoung

Found out why air flow is reduced

I decided to take all the grills of the air conditioning ducts to check out the lack of air flow and found the problem. Below the ducts is about a 2 inch gap between the duct and the ceiling paneling. This gap was "sealed" by aluminum tape, about 4 inches wide. There were open spaces in the tape. This allowed cooled air to escape into the roof cavity! Tape that was supposed to be stuck to the inside of the air conditioning duct (laying flat on the bottom of the duct) was sticking up into the duct in many places, blocking the air flow. To fix, I removed all the aluminum dict tape and used cans of expandable spray foam to create a good seal where the tape was. After filling the space between the ceiling panel and the duct and then allowing it to set up, I trimmed it with a knife and replaced the grills over the vents. It increased the air flow to the bedroom by about double. Will check out the cooling on this weekend's trip to the lake.

WSGraffius

I too suffered a similar fate, after documenting problem with digital photos I returned to my dealer (2nd time) he agreed to perform a fix but had to use the photos to justify 16 hrs of labor with the manufacturer. Turns out the a/c unit was also mounted improperly and had supply air returning immediately to the ac unit via the return duct (freeze-up). My unit was in the shop during our record breaking 19 consecutuve days of +100f temps but I finally got to try it on a 95f day and had to turn the air up as 70f was just too cold. I also used camera and a drop light to check duct system for breaks/leakage from outlet to outlet.