battery warranty

icechex

Could someone help me? I have a 'bad' battery (RV is less than a year old). How do I replace it under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would start by contacting your dealer.
What are your bad battery symptoms?

Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

Generally lead acid batteries have pro-rated warranties and these are honored by the battery brand's dealer network. But I would call Heartland and discuss with them, or look at the sticker with all the supplier phone numbers inside one the cabinet doors in your rig and see if there is a battery supplier phone number on there. At least on my Heartland RV their was no paperwork for the battery in the bag with all the owners manuals and warranty stuff.

TeJay

Start with the dealer. I may be wrong but I don't think all rigs or maybe none come from the factory with batteries. Neither of our three units did. The dealer supplies them and they will have the warranty information.

TeJay

rick_debbie_gallant

If the RV comes with no battery from the factory what will energize the electric brakes should the TV and trailer become separated and the brake cable gets pulled thereby activating the electric brakes.

wdk450

If the RV comes with no battery from the factory what will energize the electric brakes should the TV and trailer become separated and the brake cable gets pulled thereby activating the electric brakes.

I remember reading a posting by a professional RV transporter who was on the forum. He said that he used his own small motorcycle battery in the trailer for towing.

icechex

thanks for the reply. Yeah... I have no paperwork and haven't replaced a warranty battery in years. I was wondering if I could take it to one of those 'brand's dealers' and get it replaced. Only paperwork I have is the purchase of the RV.

TeJay

If you think about it this makes perfect sense. Batteries have a limited life. Once they are put into service the clock begins. Why would the manufacturer want that headache?? The delivery guy uses a small battery as the backup for brakes. When the dealer gets it they use a portable battery to activate the unit to check everything. While they are getting it ready it's plugged in to a wall outlet. Who knows how long the unit will set on the lot before someone buys it. The dealership does not want batteries in the units also because of theft. When you buy the camper they put a brand new battery in and you are good to go with a full warranty on the battery. Go to the dealer to get your warranty honored. Most often the dealer does not give out much warranty info on the batteries because there are so few problems with them. Take it back and they'll replace it with not to much fuss.

TeJay

wdk450

This info comes from about 40+ years ago when I was a teenager and worked part-time in my Dad's auto parts store. No paper records were kept on batteries, but purchase dates were stamped into the soft lead with a date stamp when the battery was sold establishing a sales date. I know that later batteries had punch out cards that the sales clerk was supposed to punch out the sales date. Either way, if it was a brand of battery we sold, and the battery failed a load test, very few questions were asked, and a pro-rated exchange was transacted. I would hope that that policy still holds.

TeJay

You are 100% correct. Any dealer that sells your battery will honor the pro-rated warranty if the battery fails and if the punch sticker was punched. If your 6-year/72 month battery cost $72 and it failed 10 months into the warranty then you get $62 towards a new battery.

TeJay

sjs731

Make sure it's punched. When we bought our rig I didn't look and then when the battery went bad I took the cover off and saw the tag wasn't punched.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk