Need a satellite dish antenna

olcoon

I'm new to satellite TV, and after having it since the first of the month I can turn on the TV & watch a program...I've even set up the DVR, to record a program, I can even watch it! We only have 2 TV's hooked up to it, & so they (Dish TV) gave us 1 receiver & both TV's run off it. When I talked to the tech about taking the receiver on the road with us, he said we'll have to be careful with it as it can be damaged easily, so I kept the box & packing. He also told me that an automatic dish won't work & I'll have to get one of the manual ones. So with all the activity I've seen on here about people switching to the automatic ones, I was wondering if anybody has a dish they'd like to get rid of. From what I've seen there are different models out there & I have no idea which one I'd need.

danemayer

Hi Noobie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here and as you've already figured out, it's a great place to share what you've learned and to get help from others.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm using Directv without High-Def service. It's been pretty easy to point a single receiver dish (only one knob extending from the dish). The multi-receiver dishes require a bit more finess to align as they are looking at more than one satellite.
Used dishes are pretty easy to acquire...nose around and you'll find one cheap on Craig's list or EBay or possibly even free from an installer. They are usually left in place when service is cancelled and replaced whenever service is restarted.
New ones with a tripod are on EBay all the time for about $60.

danemayer

I'm new to satellite TV, and after having it since the first of the month I can turn on the TV & watch a program...I've even set up the DVR, to record a program, I can even watch it! We only have 2 TV's hooked up to it, & so they (Dish TV) gave us 1 receiver & both TV's run off it. When I talked to the tech about taking the receiver on the road with us, he said we'll have to be careful with it as it can be damaged easily, so I kept the box & packing. He also told me that an automatic dish won't work & I'll have to get one of the manual ones. So with all the activity I've seen on here about people switching to the automatic ones, I was wondering if anybody has a dish they'd like to get rid of. From what I've seen there are different models out there & I have no idea which one I'd need.

Hi Roy and Sally,

I don't know that anyone takes any special precautions with their receivers - any more than with any other electronic equipment. I'm not aware of anything special about them that would make them fragile. If you're leasing the receiver as part of a 2 year commitment, you can pay a few dollars extra each month for equipment protection. Might be worthwhile depending on cost of a new receiver vs cost of the protection plan.

I'm a bit skeptical about a blanket statement that you can't use an auto-aiming dish. If you want an auto-aiming dishes like the Tailgater, I'd suggest looking at their websites to check compatibility with your receiver model #. The tech may not be up to date.

wdk450

Hi there:
I looked on Craig's list to find a local installer who was selling dish antennas. I bought a tripod from Radio Shack. I use a paint bucket with water (rocks in Quartzsite) and a bungee cord as a wind weight below the tripod. I bought a signal finder through E-Bay (I bought a better 2nd digital signal finder, too). A small level from the 98 cent store and a pack of wood door wedges from Home Depot help, too. I had the Dish installer make and sell me 2 - 100 foot RG-6 cables. I found a way to upgrade the dish with a threaded rod assembly to fine adjust the elevation on the internet. I store my dish upside down from the rafters in my storage compartment using wire and screws.
I did drop the receiver one time coming into the house, and it died shortly thereafter, but I had been paying Dish $7 a month equipment charge, which got me a new receiver for "free".
I would suggest you do an internet search and download some more accurate aiming angles by zip code than what the Dish receiver lists. Antenna aiming is a learned art, especially with 3 satellites involved. On Dish, I have learned that transducer 21 is reliable for a good signal on all 3 satellites. If the receiver says you are getting the 119 Satellite on the 129 LMB, know that the dish needs to point more West (and visa versa - The satellites are numbered from East to West). Trees can obstruct 1 of 3 satellites or even just the local stations HD spotbeam. Having the mobile tripod and long cable gives you the ability to move the dish where you can get a good sky signal from all the satellites.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like pure B.S. We got the automatic GM1518 antenna and the DISH ViP 211k receiver and, other than some initial tree interference, have not had a problem with it. I didn't buy it directly from DISH, but got it from Camping World. Then I set up a monthly account with DISH. I did keep the receiver box, just to store it at home during our "off" season.

rockerdude

We've been RVing and using a DirecTV receiver in our RV for over 17 years and have NEVER had a problem. In fact, I kept one of our older receivers and just left in the RV and paid the extra $5 a month for the use of that receiver. It was easier than unhooking and bringing one of our receivers in the house.
I also would never use a dish that is permanently attached to your RV. We have always used a portable dish for the flexibility of moving it around your campsite making it easier to find the satellite in between the trees. If it's permanently attached to your RV, then if you have trees at your campsite that block your signal, you're screwed. Just my opinion....
We had a Winegard dish that folded into itself for easy storage but just sold it cause we went to HD.

MTPockets

I think your tech contact is uninformed.... Our Dish service and automatic Tailgater and VIP211k receiver work great all the time with a lot of travel under our belt. From all I hear, there are several choices/brands offering automatic set up and have never heard of a receiver problem.

pegmikef

.... Our Dish service and automatic Tailgater and VIP211k receiver work great all the time with a lot of travel under our belt.

Ditto . . . takes five to fifteen minutes to set up depending on your individual rig and location.

GOTTOYS

If you go with a Tailgater automatic antenna, it will only work with a 211K receiver. A 211K receiver will only feed 1 television set. If you want to use your present receiver you will need either a standard dish which you will have to aim and align manually or one of any number of automatic self locating antennas, all of which cost a lot more than a Tailgater. We have a Tailgater and 211K combo and it works great. Like any other setup there can't be any trees in the way..Don

dave10a

I have a both a dual tuner and single tuner Dish receiver that I have taken on the road for years. They are not any more fragile than my DVD player or TV's. I have used the manual dual antenna for years and have purchased the Winegard Cary Out this year and have not experience any problems with either the eastern or western arc satellites. If I was in one spot for a long time I would use the manual dish and while traveling I would use the Carry Out. The reason I would use the manual dish is that it performs better in rain storms because it has a higher signal to noise ratio than the automatic dish. The automatic Carry Out is more convenient; however I got good at pointing the manual. Set the elevation and skew first and then find azimuth with a signal meter. In fact I can find the satellites faster with the manual faster than the automatic can. However the automatic has made me lazy :)

TXTiger

I don't have satellite yet but have been looking into it. What I have been told is that using a portable dish (Carry Out, Tailgater or ViewQ) you can not have a DVR receiver only the 211k. Only a roof mounted dish allows you to use a receiver capable of DVR. Also have been told that Direct is not HD, only Dish is using the portable systems. Additionally only the Wineguard Carry out is set up for two televisions, the other portables only allow one tv. Not sure if all this is correct.

JohnDar

The GM1518 automatic antenna will support two receivers, since it has a Main and Secondary coax connection. In regards to DVR, the 211k receiver does not have that capability built into it. I wonder, however, if one could connect a recording device between the 211k and the TV. For us, we program the cable DVR at home to save any programs we like during the summer and watch them at home if we miss them while at the rig. If we mess that up, we can still use Xfinity OnDemand and watch past episodes.

wdk450

I don't have satellite yet but have been looking into it. What I have been told is that using a portable dish (Carry Out, Tailgater or ViewQ) you can not have a DVR receiver only the 211k. Only a roof mounted dish allows you to use a receiver capable of DVR. Also have been told that Direct is not HD, only Dish is using the portable systems. Additionally only the Wineguard Carry out is set up for two televisions, the other portables only allow one tv. Not sure if all this is correct.

What you state is an argument for a home type Dish 1000.3, 3 LMB antenna on a tripod, like I use. BTW, I do the aiming without help, as I am single. I use the satellite finder at the dish, along with the TV volume turned up all the way and an open window, with the receiver on the dish aiming (Menu 6-1-1) screen set for the middle (119) satellite on transducer 21. I can fine tune outside hearing the audio tones on the TV.

dave10a

Dish offers free software that allows the 211k to act as a DVR. You have to install any kind of USB disk drive 2TB or better to the 211k format it (using a proprietory format) and walla you will have DVR capability.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Dish offers free software that allows the 211k to act as a DVR. You have to install any kind of USB disk drive 2gig or better to the 211k format it (using a proprietory format) and walla you will have DVR capability.

Really?? I always have my 300 GB external USB drive with me at the rig, so...

JohnDar

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So maybe if I want to record something at the rig, all I need is the software from DISH. The external hard drive is always with my laptop, which is always with me at the rig.

And then maybe not. After checking DISH's info on using an external hard drive, the requirement is that it has it's own power supply in order to use it with the 211k receiver. Mine is powered by the USB connector from the laptop. Poop :(

Last edited: