Winter Camping--Need Some Advice

RuralPastor

Life's circumstances (like selling our home) are forcing us to live in our 30' NT Caliber travel trailer for a couple of months (possibly more) in central Illinois--beginning in November. We have spent up to two months in the summer, but never winter. The campground we are staying charges 350/month with unlimited electricity. They do not allow skirting of any type on the RV. Here is what we've already done:

1. Shrink plastic on windows to help with condensation.
2. Heated/insulated hose.
3. Purchased electric heaters (I am aware of needing propane furnace to heat underbelly).
4. Installed reflectix insulation over windows in bedroom.
5. Have insulated cushions in roof vents.

Considering....
1. Installing tank and dump valve heaters (reptile tank heaters).
2. Heat tracing water lines in underbelly.
3. Reinsulating underbelly.
4. Making insulating curtains for windows.
5. Plexiglass panels for screen doors.

Are we thinking along the right lines here? What are you doing, or what have you done? Thank you for helping us a bit.

jbeletti

Something I've heard of someone doing is to use blue or pink foam insulation board and affix (outdoors) to the floor, roof and end walls of slide rooms. I would imagine two very long ratchet straps could be used to keep it all in place.

RuralPastor

Something I've heard of someone doing is to use blue or pink foam insulation board and affix (outdoors) to the floor, roof and end walls of slide rooms. I would imagine two very long ratchet straps could be used to keep it all in place.
I will do it. Maybe I can snap some pics and up load them when done. I know from our summertime usage that our 13' superslide is not very energy efficient.

danemayer

That is a good idea. Do you know if I just need to buy an "extend-a-stay" hose connection for the propane line?

You'll need a hose but the extend a stay is often for motor coach hook ups. Different fitting. They may also make one for RVs. The propane company may be able to make a custom hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wdk450

I hope you have 50 amp electrical service. Pay attention to the electrical draw so you don't have to go out in the cold in the middle of the night to reset the pedestal breaker.

Also, with all of these heat sources, think a little about fire safety. Know how to use the emergency exit window, and have a stepladder or table in place to drop onto. Upgrade your fire extinguishers. Tighten all of the wire screws on your AC breaker panel. Do a guage leakdown test on your propane system or use bubble solution on all of the fittings.

RuralPastor

I hope you have 50 amp electrical service. Pay attention to the electrical draw so you don't have to go out in the cold in the middle of the night to reset the pedestal breaker.

Also, with all of these heat sources, think a little about fire safety. Know how to use the emergency exit window, and have a stepladder or table in place to drop onto. Upgrade your fire extinguishers. Tighten all of the wire screws on your AC breaker panel. Do a guage leakdown test on your propane system or use bubble solution on all of the fittings.

Thank you, Bill. Good insights.

caissiel

one important thing is to make sure you do some ventilation for oxygen. We have people here in the great white north the sufficated in small RV trailers. I spend a winter in our RV here in Canada and was alone in it. I filled the water tank and drained the tanks on warm days. There are plenty of above freezing days in winter here.