Telephone Outlet

We picked up our new Key Largo a week ago. This is the "new" 2013 Key Largo model, with a number of modifications from the prior 2013 model (cherry wood rather than pecan, larger island, but no barrel storage areas at end of island as well as other changes). We have a question about placement of a telephone outlet in the living room/kitchen area. So far we haven't been able to locate one. The only phone outlet we've found is in the closet in the bedroom, where a set of drawers and small mirror were added. Are we overlooking something?

danemayer

Hi Willie1019,

Is there a phone jack in the UDC? I was just looking at some new units and didn't see a jack in the UDC. Of course I may have missed it. The jack in the closet may be the satellite control line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vtxkid

If your wanting to have a land line phone setup, buy the 3-4 cordless phone pack with 1 phone with base. Plug the base into the jack in the bedroom. That way you don't require any other jacks and you can place your other phones where ever you want!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have gone with the new Verizon wireless home service because our BC didn't have the phone jack feed anymore. It's pretty neat in that Verizon took or bought our home line number from ATT, add it to a wireless cell number and now we can take our home phone anywhere in the country with us.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We have gone with the new Verizon wireless home service because our BC didn't have the phone jack feed anymore. It's pretty neat in that Verizon took or bought our home line number from ATT, add it to a wireless cell number and now we can take our home phone anywhere in the country with us.

Verizon Home Phone Connect... Works great, we put our base phone & Router in the trailer plugged into an inverter for power and put a cordless in the truck with us. While at home, we just put the base station in the kitchen with the Verizon router and have a couple of corless phones around the house. Only $20 a month and it's unlimited local and long distance.

danemayer

We also switched our home phone to Verizon Home Phone Connect and we take it with us in the RV. So our home number follows us. Also, I us *71 followed by my cell phone #. It's a conditional forward. If no one picks up the home phone, or it's busy, the call is forwarded to my cell phone.

*71 - conditional forward
*72 - unconditional forward
*73 - cancel forwarding

Westwind

Problem I had when I looked at it was that I didn't have a way to connect my home temperature/water alarm system to when we are snow-birding in Florida for 4 months.
I leave the phone on in the house and the system is connected to it and it will call my cell phone in Florida or where ever and let me know when the temp drops below 45 in the house or if there in water in the basement near the furnace which means the sump pump isn't working.

So we continue to have a land line and cell phone - but it's worth it to me.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Not sure if any of you have used this... Some of my old friends use the phone line connection in their trailer at RV parks, usually the real Resorts, where you can plug into the phone line in the shore line. This way you can call the people in different sites. It was not usually used to make calls outside of the parks...

FWIW
BC

We winter in San Carlos, Mexico. While there we use the Verizon Nationwide plus Mexico planon pur cell phones for calls to the U.S. For local calls, though, and for internet, we have a Telmex landline. That's why we need the landline hookup. I guess, if the one in the bedroom closet is the only phone outlet, we'll have to put the base for the cordless phone, along with our modem, there. We do have another cordless unit we can place in the livingroom. We just thought it was a bit odd that the only hookup was in the bedroom as other RVs we've owned have had an outlet for a landline in the living room area.

Camper51

When we ordered our 2013 Key Largo, we requested 3 phone jacks be installed. We then found out that Heartland was going to charge us an incredible $600+ for putting them in. We cancelled that request. Crazy. This is the first unit we've ever had without a phone jack.

danemayer

Everyone seems to have cell phones now. I'd be surprised if 1 out of 500 uses the phone jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no external phone hookup on our 2013 Key Largo. I guess what we'll have to do is run a line thru one of the windows and leave the window open just a bit. Heartland is miscalculating when it assumes no one has use for a landline... and it certainly couldn't cost much to include at least one or offer at an option for a low cost (should be less than $100, I'd think). A bit disappointing in a unit with an MSRP over $100,000.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can put a temporary phone line in by fishing it through the gaskets on the side of the slide.
Do this before the slide is all the way out.
Easy to do and you wont have to leave a window open.

Peace
Dave