Trouble getting cable TV to work in Bighorn

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We are at our first campground with cable. I connected cable outside and when we go through menu setup TV cable auto search it says there is nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions. If I go through the same process using the antenna and air I can pickup local stations.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
Wayne

jbeletti

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Make sure the power is OFF on the Winegard RF switcher;

2. Make sure the RF switcher is switched to the input that is for Cable TV. It will not be the TV input. It will likely be AUX;

3. At the TV, make sure when you are doing the Auto-Tuning, that for signal type, you are telling it Cable TV. This sets the tuner's frequency plan in the correct mode.

Failing all of that, I would suspect the wiring. Could be a connector issue or a cable issue. To test this, I suggest you slide the TV out, take your portable cable TV wire that you use outside, connect it to the Cable TV connection in the campground, run the other end through the window nearest the TV set and connect it to the antenna input connector. Then go through the auto-tuning for Cable TV and see what you get. If it works, you have a wiring/connector/switcher issue. If it does not work, the Cable TV jack on the campground may not work or your jumper may be bad.

Good luck and let us know.

Jim

wfwilson

Jim
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am a not too smart but what is an RF switcher. IS it the Little white box in the bedroom which is booster the antenna input?
I tried it with it off.
Thanks
Wayne

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The RF switcher is the same as the antenna booster in the bedroom. If it is off, it's supposed to automatically switch the input to the cable. Our 3400 was incorrectly wired and I had to switch some cables around. If you're not comfortable doing this stuff AND Jim's suggestion of hooking the cable to your TV directly from the campground box didn't work, a trip to your dealer is in order. Some of us have also had problems with the connectors on the coax being grounded out. This requires a volt/ohm meter or continuity tester to determine.

wfwilson

Thanks Ray
I checked with the campground and they said it worked. I turned off the RF switch, ran the cable direct through the window at the entertainment desk and hooked it to the TV. NOTHING. want back to air did the setup and got the local Chanel's no problem. Any other suggestions or is it back to the dealer!
Regards
Wayne

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you hooked the cable direct from the c'ground to the TV and it still didn't work there are a couple possibe things left. 1. Your coax you're using might be bad. 2. Your TV, make sure the input is set for cable. 3. The campground cable isn't working. After insuring your TV is set up right, I would try a different coax from the campground post to your TV.

caokgafamily

You need to do the cable search on the IHC setting on the Tv. if that doesn't work do a search on all the other cable settings.

wfwilson

Update
I was talking to Matt at Rec Spec. Here is a tip he gave to me an easy way to test hookups is to set up a VCR outside and connect to cable out let in basement. Try connecting the wire to the different cable or satellite input connectors. Tried it and problem solved right away.
Thanks for all the help;

regan

Regan
Cable problems

We had same problem, however we had added a TV in bedroom, it picked up signal fine for cable but the LR TV could not find cable stations, so we knew we had signal coming into coach. Took in to dealer, they found that Heartland had never "finished" wiring the coach. Also said they discovered that the Satellite was never "finished" either, fixed both now everything works fine. None

wfwilson

5erWonk
The problem turned out to be the Olevia TV which is very user unfriendly,no manual and my lack of being a Techie. Once I new I had the signal from the VRC I played inside with setup quit a bit to get it to work . We have a 52 inch Panasonic HDLCD as well as a Sanyo in the bedroom at home and they were user friendly and easy to set up. I would certainly not recommend Olevia TV to anyone.
PS sorry I was so long in answering I have not been on this topic for a while.
Regards
Wayne