Best Route to RGV

Willym

The past three years we have been getting to the Rio Grande Valley by way of Texarkana, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and then down US281. This works fairly well except that we always seem to hit a bottleneck at Austin. We have not tried the toll bypass route though. An alternative route would be to take US59 from Texarkana down to Houston and through to US77 and thus to the valley. Would anyone care to offer any information on a) the Austin toll bypass route, i.e. time savings and toll costs, b) average speed/stops on US59 and getting through Houston c) reasonable overnight campgrounds in the Houston area close to US59?

Thanks.

pegmikef

Any time I have been on the toll roads in Austin, the traffic has really been sparse. I am not sure about the costs as I have texas plates so I never stop and pay them and they just mail be a bill. I think they were pretty reasonable (unlike the northeast) . . five or ten bucks. I don't know anything about the other routes you are inquiring about, but there are a lot of Texans on this forum so I am sure you will get some informed responses.

olcoon

Last year we left home (Kansas City, MO) went down 71 Hwy to Joplin, MO then into Oklahoma & down into Texas. The route was ok, but I didn't like having to slow down for all the small towns, and the roads weren't the best. Going home (we left from Kerrville, TX) we took I-35 all the way back & that was a lot better. On both routes there were some toll roads but unfortunately, I don't remember them, or how much we paid. I hate driving on toll roads (seems like our taxes pay for them & then we still have to pay to use them), but sometimes they do have their advantages.

scottyb

The Texas 130 is supposed to be open all the way from I-35 north of Georgetown to I-10 east of Seguin on Oct 24. It is 80 mph on the part that has been open, from Georgetown to Buda, and 85 mph on the new section to Seguin. Traffic has been almost non-existent, so far. The new segements are free until Nov 10.

Willym

Thanks! I think that we'll try the toll road, at least to Buda. Unfortunately we won't be getting there until the end of November. 80 mph is a little out of my comfort zone with the trailer behind me so I'll be happy to sit in the LH lane!

The Texas 130 is supposed to be open all the way from I-35 north of Georgetown to I-10 east of Seguin on Oct 24. It is 80 mph on the part that has been open, from Georgetown to Buda, and 85 mph on the new section to Seguin. Traffic has been almost non-existent, so far. The new segements are free until Nov 10.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We traveled from Dallas to San Antonio this past July on I-35. Usually there is terrible traffic through Austin, so we decided to bypass it via Texas 130 and 45 toll roads from Georgetown to Buda. The speed limit was 70 or 75, but there was very little traffic, and we were fine going our usual 60-65. We have a NTTA toll tag, which gets us slightly discounted rates on other Texas Toll Roads, but it was still pricey. Around $23 for one way.

If you want to predict your tolls, visit this link: http://www.txtag.org/maps_toll.php

Here's a screen-grab of the estimate for a truck pulling a two-axle trailer, if you have the bill mailed to you ($24.26). I am not sure how they get the "cash" amount... I don't recall any traditional toll-booths.

TOLLWAY-map.jpg

It was well worth the money in my opinion, a whole lot less stressful than going I-35!!!

Attachments

• TollRoad.jpg
    TollRoad.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 41

Owenfamily

We take this toll all the time. It cost us $15 but I look at the gas and time I save. No matter what time or day you go through Austin their is traffic. Every time we look at ways there is always something.

scottyb

Thanks! I think that we'll try the toll road, at least to Buda. Unfortunately we won't be getting there until the end of November. 80 mph is a little out of my comfort zone with the trailer behind me so I'll be happy to sit in the LH lane!

Same here. 65 works for me pulling the rig. I have to say that I use 130 frequently for work betweem Georgetown and Buda, and it's pretty nice to lock the cruise on 80. 130 will be open all the way when you get here and you can take it all the way to I-10, I-10 to i-410, to I-37. That way you would miss the San Marcos, New Braunfels, and most of the San Antonio traffic as well. Money well spent IMO.

scottyb

One more thing I would mention. Nov 17 - 19 Will be the grand opening of the new Formula 1 race track. I have heard estimates of 150,000+ people, with a large % of international guest. It sits just about a mile off of 130, south of Hwy 71. I assume 130 will be a major access to/from the race track (other than the ones using helicopter taxis). I would avoid driving through on those dates.

Willym

Thanks, we'll be passing through at the end of the month. A new Formula One track eh. Hopefully, it's not one of those boring oval tracks!

One more thing I would mention. Nov 17 - 19 Will be the grand opening of the new Formula 1 race track. I have heard estimates of 150,000+ people, with a large % of international guest. It sits just about a mile off of 130, south of Hwy 71. I assume 130 will be a major access to/from the race track (other than the ones using helicopter taxis). I would avoid driving through on those dates.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Scotty are you sure that it will be open to I-10? We came through there after spending a week in Canyon Lake and it didn't look like it was anywhere ready for cars. I could be wrong but just asking. We travel from Rockport to the toll then take it into Cedar Park. it saves us a lot of time and fuel as there are no stops. We have the TXTAG. Curious as we wil spend Thanksgiving in Cedar Park. It would be nice if it is open.

scottyb

Scotty are you sure that it will be open to I-10? We came through there after spending a week in Canyon Lake and it didn't look like it was anywhere ready for cars. I could be wrong but just asking. We travel from Rockport to the toll then take it into Cedar Park. it saves us a lot of time and fuel as there are no stops. We have the TXTAG. Curious as we wil spend Thanksgiving in Cedar Park. It would be nice if it is open.

http://www.txtag.org/sh_130.php
It's been all over the news lately.

Thanks, we'll be passing through at the end of the month. A new Formula One track eh. Hopefully, it's not one of those boring oval tracks!

Bill, I haven't seen the race track, but it is hilly and curvy. Here is the site for ticket sales with a diagram of the track.
http://www.vividseats.com/sports/us-grand-prix-tickets/us-grand-prix-11-16-1281793.html

lmcclure

Scotty my apologies there was a news release today that they opened the route from 45 to i-10. When we drove through there it didn't look like it was ready. I am really glad to be wrong this time as our family is coming down this weekend. No tolls to be charged until 11/11. Yeah it will bemuch easier to get back and forth.

scottyb

Yeah, I saw on Fox News that it is the highest speed limit (85) in the western hemisphere. Pretty amazing if you think back to the days of 55 mph.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah, I saw on Fox News that it is the highest speed limit (85) in the western hemisphere.

Until the traffic fatalities go up.... And they will, it's a proven fact. More highway deaths occur when limit is over 55mph than under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

The big issue now is ferral hogs. 130 passes through Milam county, where there is a bounty on them. The newscast reported one car totaled due to a hog encounter on the 1st night it was open. Of course, they admitted at the end that the result probably would have been the same at 70 mph.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
HERE is an article on a car that was clocked at over 220! mph on the new highway before it opened to the public. A Hennessey Cadillac!

lmcclure

Feral Hogs are getting bad here also. We came back from Port A yesterday and there was one on the north side of the channel on 361 that had been hit by a car. Car was a mess and totaled. Driver stated that he was only doin 50mph. Need to start carring my 30-30 with me all the time.