Patio System Opinions on Cyclones

Zoomzoommo

I'm about to put a deposit on a Cyclone 3110, and was going to order the patio system for the ramp door. However, I find myself questioning the usefulness of this option. Can any owners with the patio option provide feedback regarding how frequently they actually use the patio? And are the rails a pain when it's time to put up the ramp door? If you have the patio door option, do you have the removable clear panel walls? These seem like a PIA to store. Basically, I would prefer NOT to spend an extra $3,000+ for these options (patio system, wall, accompanying awning) if it won't be used. I'd rather put some of the funds towards dual pain windows. FYI, my son will be sleeping in the garage during stays in the 3110.

jbeletti

I'd get the dual pane windows before the patio. But, I'd LOVE the patio and think I would use it. No matter where you go, so long as you can put it out, you have a nice area to eat outdoors, grill outdoors etc. It's your $$ - just adding my 2 cents to you war chest :)

scottyb

Personally, I love the patio and will use it just about every time I travel. I wanted a full sized gas grill and the patio is a perfect place to use it. It easily rolls from the garage to the patio. I use the table in the garage as a buffet for people to load their plates. The railing is a little PITA, since you have to unfold them to load / unload your toys. Both sides have two pins to pull and replace and you have to pull the pins attaching each cable. It takes an extra couple minutes but you get pretty efficient with practice. I can do it all by myself.

The screen patio doors were part of the unit I chose. They consume a good 6" of length. down to about 11' 0" in my 12' garage. My Mule is 10' 10", so there's no room to spare. It has gaps around, so it isn't mosquito proof without doing something to fill them. I suppose if you were doing a lot of cold weather camping, it would be a nice space to serve food or possibly watch TV. Bottom line is, I would probably have ordered it before, but now I don't think it is worth the trouble, for me.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20923&d=1345857344

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20923&d=1345857344&thumb=1

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20922&d=1345855825

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20922&d=1345855825&thumb=1

porthole

Retired
I made the patio option on our 3010 before it was available. Just two cables though, no rails. I have seriously considered making a railing and screen for the ramp.
The reality for us though is that three have actually been very few times we would actually be able to use the rear ramp for any purpose.
Campgrounds are tight in our area and more often then not I find that I unload the traielr before parking it.

As to the new rear patio door option. That is another option I would pass. At 8' of interior width it is tight enough loading a full size motorcycle and golf cart in the garage. I would not want to be dealing with the extra work.

If you don't use the garage as a garage though (no large toys) maybe it is a good idea. or if you travel in an area where wide open spaces are the norm.

So to the OP, if it was a choice between DP and patio - I would go for the DP, you will use that every time you use the trailer.

How much is the patio rail option?
How much for the rear doors?
How much for the awning over the ramp that I would want if I had the above options?

Actually, I would get the ramp awning before the patio option.

I think we have actually used the "patio" option one time while camping, when we were in a 200+ foot long site backing up to the Delaware River, which we couldn't see because of the vegetation.

Zoomzoommo

After reading your comments and thinking through this a bit more, I've decided to pass on the rear patio/removable wall/rear awning options for the following reasons:
1. It likely wouldn't be used very often.
2. I need to haul three motorcycles, and the removable wall would be a hindrance. And no room for patio furniture in the garage.
3. If we want to sit outside, why not sit under one of the side awnings?
4. The garage will be my son's 'room' when we travel, so using the rear patio would 'infringe' on his personal space.
5. Bugs will fly into the garage when the ramp is lowered. See #4.
6. We'll 'use' the DP windows every time we use the Cyclone.

Thanks for the input.

ILH

I have the same opinion as Jim Beletti. Most important are the DP windows. Not only for temp insulation, but also for sound.As for usefulness of the patio... we love ours. We use it at almost all sites. Putting up / taking down the railings becomes very quick and easy - less than 5 minutes. My only regret is that I didn't also order the rear awning. Sometimes the patio can get hot in the sun. I've considered the 3 season wall, but it takes too much real estate.

Zoomzoommo

Wrote the deposit check today, and ordered the DP windows...and the patio systems....and the HD package. Seemed foolish to skimp on the last 5% given the overall expenditure. Delivery in mid-January.

TXTiger

My Cyclone came with the patio option. I don't use it much but am glad that it is there as an option. I did not get the glass doors just the patio screen. It is not that hard to put up or take down and only takes a minute. It does not take up any room in the garage. One negative is that you must put up at least one side to load and unload a motorcycle. One positive is that the door with the patio option is reinforced to hold the weight of a motorcycle. The door without the patio is not reinforced. The reinforcement of the door alone I believe is worth the extra $$$

ILH

One negative is that you must put up at least one side to load and unload a motorcycle.
While I'm not necessarily saying it makes sense to do so, if you know you're not going to use the patio feature on a particular trip, you could always leave the railings at home. It would save you having to put them up each time you want to load / unload the bikes. ... Just a thought.

scottyb

Wrote the deposit check today, and ordered the DP windows...and the patio systems....and the HD package. Seemed foolish to skimp on the last 5% given the overall expenditure. Delivery in mid-January.

Congratulations. My thoughts exactly. You will find ways to use it.

While I'm not necessarily saying it makes sense to do so, if you know you're not going to use the patio feature on a particular trip, you could always leave the railings at home. It would save you having to put them up each time you want to load / unload the bikes. ... Just a thought.

I have thought the same thing, but then again, what does it take, 2 extra min to raise / lower railings. Since I have dedicated my patio as my grilling area, I will be using itmost of the time. What do you do with your loose cable ends? I have been re-connecting them just to keep them organized and out of the way. I have to double-check that they are out of the seal as I am closing the latches. No big deal, just wondering if there may be a better way.

ILH

I have thought the same thing, but then again, what does it take, 2 extra min to raise / lower railings. Since I have dedicated my patio as my grilling area, I will be using itmost of the time. What do you do with your loose cable ends? I have been re-connecting them just to keep them organized and out of the way. I have to double-check that they are out of the seal as I am closing the latches. No big deal, just wondering if there may be a better way.

I don't use my deck for grilling - I have a small webber with a stand that I put on the grass below.

I agree about the setup / takedown time - I was getting to the point where I could do it in about 2 minutes by myself. Thankfully the heavier reinforced door is counter balanced appropriately.

As for the cables - I haven't had a problem yet with them getting tangled in the door or seal. Nevertheless, when I enter the garage after putting up the door, it's easy to ensure the cables are hanging properly (away from the seals).

I have the patio on my 3110 the cables tuck in on the the sides of the door frame, and if you take the railing off the ramp door will lift up off the ground about 1 foot, the weight of the rails holds it down.

wiredawgchief

Great to see all the comments on the patio...We love ours. With approx 42' of length, there normally isn't room to use the rear patio at most camp grounds, but it is great when dry camping on the beach. I don't mind the few minutes it takes to open the railing and patio doors...I've gotten pretty good at it. I think all the Cyclones I've seen at Explore come in with the patio option and it was one of my selling points to my wife. We are looking at installing thick drapes on the rear for privacy and increased thermal efficiency.

Have fun with your new unit, Ron

Last edited:

Zoomzoommo

The 3110 came in this week, so the wife and went to take a look yesterday. We hadn't ordered it with the clear patio wall, but low and behold, it had it! The dealer said the factory accidently installed it, so it was a freebie. Score! That'll more than offset my cost to upgrade from the so called 'blow max' tires.

iowaone

If you have three seasgons option with the vinyl/screen how loncg does that take you to remove? Do you/can you still get the pull down screen?

scottyb

I have mixed feelings about the vinyl/screen doors. For starters, it doesn't seal very well. There are lots of cracks for mossies to get in, that need to be sealed. Since most of our camping is in extremely hot climates, the vinyl panes have to be removed to stop the greenhouse effect. It reduces the usable length of the garage by 6" or more. They are a PITA when loading my MULE. I think a roll-up screen door would be much more useful to me. I didn't order my Cyclone and this option was already included.

We absolutely love the patio / grilling deck / dog run.