MPG 181 Winterization

2get2me

Greetings all, we recently purchased a 181 (our first RV) and have had 2 great trips already but winter is approaching and our "lesson" on winterization at the selling dealer was brief to say the least.

Is there anyplace that gives specific instructions on winterizing?

What I think I know is to drain everything at the low points, then open the access panel to the water pump, open the valve on the exposed "sucker" line and insert it into the antifreeze. At that point I assume you just turn the pump on and open the sink, bathroom and toilet valves one at a time until you see antifreeze flowing.

Then pull the battery and store it someplace warm for the winter.

Any other suggestions to do or corrections to my assumptions?

Also, how long is the "sucker" line near the pump. Do I need an extension to reach out into the antifreeze bottle?

Thanks in advance,
Scott & Cathy

Tumblebug

Also find the water heater and turn the by pass the water heater, pull the plug on the water heater, make sure its is cooled down.
One other point blow out the black tank flush line, some times there is enough water to mess up the antisiphon valve.
I needed an extension for the pump line. it was rather short. I had a MPG 183.

bigmaho

The 'sucker' tube is pretty short (at least in mine... c'mon Heartland. Another 12" wouldn't have broken the bank!), so I had to find a basin to pour the anti freeze fluid in (and I'm sure you know... but non-toxic rv system antifreeze only!). And as tumble bug pointed out, don't forget the water heater. There are 3 line valves. Turn each in the opposite direction. That by passes the water heater. To drain it you have to remove the lowest plug which is also connected to the anode bar. I think you need a 1 1/8 inch socket to do the job. The water in the heater is under pressure, so you will get a good spray. Just winterized mine. Went pretty quickly.

2get2me

I'm confused about the water heater. On my MPG there are two "low point" drains underneath, a hot and a cold. Won't the water heater drain, at least mostly, from this point? Also, if I pump anti-freeze into the system, won't some of that end up in the water heater? Also, where IS the water heater?

Lastly, the fresh water holding tank is empty, do I need to blow out the line from that tank to the pump? Based on the location of the "sucker" line valve, that line won't get any anti-freeze in it.

Thanks again.

kb0zke

The water heater is under the bed, street side. You will have to raise up the mattress and then take out a few screws. The plywood panel will then lift out and you can see the hot water heater. There are three valves in there which need to be turned to the opposite position from where they are now. Then you can put everything back. Go outside, open the louvered access panel for the hot water heater and open the overflow valve. When the water has stopped pouring out you can take out the drain plug. That takes a pretty good-sized socket (1 1/8 " I think). More water will come out.

I'm taking our 181 in to the dealer soon for winterizing and annual service. Yes, I could do it myself, but I'd rather let them check it over and fix whatever needs fixing. Last time they spotted a spot that needed a bit of caulking. If I had missed it I would have a big bill eventually.

Tumblebug

On my MPG 183, I opened the low points drains, then on the outside of the water heater, I opened the pressure relief valve, it drained the water heater. Did the same on my wilderness also. I pulled the plug to double check the first time, tank was empty.

bigmaho

I'm not sure the pressure release valve drains the entire hot water tank since it's located at the top of the tank. At least on my 181. I had to pull the lower plug (with the rod attached inside) to fully drain it.

Pmccomas

I have a MPG 181 - Can someone please tell me where the water pump is with the sucker line?? I have looked under every panel (finally found the bypass on the water heater under the screwed in panels under bed - good grief) the kitchen sink, the dining banquets, but can't find it! Thanks:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
HERE is a link to another thread asking the same question. Look at post #5.
Says it's by the door behind a panel.

Peace
Dave