Underbelly Mod

osims

bsims
I took the Bighorn back to the dealership for a small punchlist of minor items, when I picked it up I noticed they had cut the underbelly several places and duct taped it back very sloppy,I think a fifth grader could have done better. Any way thinking about buying several 4 x 8 sheets of 28 ga. sheetmetal, cutting to fit between I beams , screwing to beams then lapping sheets about an inch,screwing across and caulking. Has anyone else done something similar. Will post pictures when complete.

regan

Regan
Let me know

I have the same problem, when my Bighorn was delivered it had a slit in the underbelly. I am not sure about the corrugated plastic, would like to know how that goes for you.

Uncle Rog

Check some of the posts addressing the belly slits by repairing with some sort of tape by Nashua, I think. The repairs were well received and the sheet metal would add uneccessary weight. I sealed properly the liner is made of pretty durable material..........

Uncle Rog

A Quote from Mr Loco.......

:D I have seen and talked to some folks that ask what to seal up the under cover on a trailer. You see dealers using Black duck tape. Which always comes lose with time. Well I have found the right tape to do it with and you do not have to order it or go to the RV dealer, You go to Home Depot. It works great. It is in the Duck tape area of Home depot. It is called Nashua SELECT Flashing tape. It is about 6 inches wide and a roll of about 75 FT for 20 dallors. It is made of Polymeric film and has a proprietary new butyl rubber adhesive adheres to most building surfaces and it does All I did was clean my under cover with mineral spirits cut the tape to fit, pull the backing off and stick it on. It works great. With the backing on it you can cut it to any shape you need to seal up holes around drain pipes ect. It is the best thing I have found so far. I did put it on when the under cover was warm. But it went on you can not pull it lose easy. Hope this will help folks out with their rigs under covers.
PowerStroke 6.0 Tow Boss
Her Truck:rolleyes:

Loco usually finds about the best fixes, as many others on the forum do.........

Loco

Uncle is right on here.:D I found this tape and it works great! I had my whole under side down last year and when I put it back up I sealed it with the tape listed in my post. It has not come lose any where I put it. The big thing is to make sure you clean the under cover very good before you put the tape on. I used mineral spirits on a clean rag. Then let it dry. You have to be careful when you pull the backing off the tape,because if the wind is up and the tape gets together with itself you can not pull it apart very easy or not at all.

Also if you look in the Cyclone area or Loco post under trailer fixes you will see how I got all the waves out of my rig by putting some 2x4s between the frame rails just to hold the under cover up. It was very easy to do. It also makes it easyer to get back under the trailer if needed by making the under cover into three pieces( Not just one big pain in the rear)I will see if I can move the post over here for you to see.

HappyKayakers

Amen on the wind. I was applying some in Amarillo, very windy town. Had to be very careful and still threw some away after it stuck to itself. But, whatever made it onto the underbelly is still there after 6 months and 3000 miles.

Tom of Ypsi

I went to a HD in Michigan and they did not have the Nashau tape. They did not know what it was and even looked it up in their master list of all products handled by HD. I finally went to Lowe's picked up some silver flashing tape and some spray on glue and have had no problems since June.

Chuck

Are the underbellies of all the Big Horns what looks like a heavy corrugated card board? Our dealer did a sloppy job of putting the underbelly cover back up, too. So, guess, we need to get some of that Nashau tape, too.

Underbelly Repair

When I cut the underbelly to fix the fresh water tank sag, I put the underbelly back together with wire ties every two inches. Ater one camping season and 4500 miles the underbelly is just as i left it.

osims

bsims
I did put the sheetmetal under mine and it came out nicely, with the screws I can remove the section I need to. Cut the metal to fit between I beams and installed from plumbing to spare tire. Used about 72 square feet, metal weighs less than one pound per foot so I could live with about 65lbs spread out over length of unit