TV for Newly Ordered Cyclone 3110

Zoomzoommo

Placed an order this week for a Cyclone 3110 that will be delivered in January, so it's now time to hone in on a TV. I've already been through the SRW vs DRW decision making process, and will be purchasing a new or lightly used DRW. Additionally, I've made stops at the local Ford, GMC and Dodge dealers to check out their offerings, while also reading the various postings on this forum. The 'hurt locker' report has been read multiple times.

A few general impressions about my options:

Ford - I really like the job Ford has done with their entire product lineup. My DD is a '12 Focus hatchback, and I can't say enough about the build quality of this car. Ford also has my respect. My sole hesitation with the Ford is its poor performance with exhaust braking, as I do intend to spend time in the Rockies. Is this a legitimate concern if pulling 16,500#?

Dodge - IMO, Dodge has the most visually appealing truck. However, based on what I've read, they simply don't measure up to the Ford and GMC in towing prowess. Is this a correct assumption? Will a Megacab with a 6' 4" bed require a sliding hitch? There seems to be more lightly used Rams for sale in my area than the Fords or GMC's, so I don't want to rule out the Ram. Also, the new Ram is due to hit showrooms in January, and the press release promises best in class towing figures, along with a new Aisin transmission. So I like the Rams, but don't know that the current models measure up to Ford or GMC.

GMC - I view the GMC as the best 'tool' among the three brands. But for me, the truck and brand is the least attractive. We've always purchased GMC cargo vans at work, and they've been indestructible. Perhaps I just need to get over the bailout thing. The other downside is that GMC is updating their lineup for 2014, so the truck would be 'dated' a year after purchase. And like the Ford, it's tough to find lightly used examples.

Would appreciate any feedback or answers to my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILH

Wow, I agree with all of your comments. I went with the GMC 'tool' but agree that it wasn't the prettiest of the bunch.

dave10a

They are all good trucks. And it will boil down to your personal bias. GM and Dodge have become more dated in technology while GM is updating in 2014. I don't know what Dodge is doing to catch up.

danemayer

Before settling on any truck, check both 5th wheel towing capacity spec and payload spec for the exact model you're considering. There can be ugly surprises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bksvo

I have an '08 F-350, and I towed extensively in the Rockies. I have not had any problems towing there. On a long steep grade (6%) I may have to make a few brake applications to keep it slowed down, but with plenty of time in between to keep them cool. I'm in no hurry to add an exhaust brake.

I'm not saying an exhaust brake wouldn't be nice, but if you like the rest of the package, you can add one later for a relatively small cost.

For me, I had to throw out the GMC early in my search because the rear cab is just too small (I have 3 kids back there). Ford and Dodge (mega) have a much nicer crew cab overall.

porthole

Retired
Since I have no "brand loyalty" shopping was a bit easier. In the end Ford won out because of features, performance capacity etc. the SD's are also the most $$$.

At least for the 2011 model year, the Ford was well advanced over the Dodge and feature wise well ahead of the GMC. Only thing the GMC had over the Ford was a heated steering wheel.

Ford DOES NOT HAVE an exhaust brake. They do have an engine braking feature which is a computer controlled engine and transmission scheme. It works OK at higher speeds and is useless on the 2 lane, low speed (35-45 mph limits) up and down roller coaster roads.

The ford cab was the most comfortable and largest of the three.

I would not let that single thing about the braking sway you though. It sure would be nice if the Fords had an exhaust brake, but up until a few years ago there were not many the did.

Still waiting to see if Banks coming up with a programmer like they have for the GM.

I'm not saying an exhaust brake wouldn't be nice, but if you like the rest of the package, you can add one later for a relatively small cost
l

no addd ons yet for the 6.7. And the current mechanical for the others are pricey.

scottyb

I drove Ford diesels from 1982 to 2007. 6.9, 7.3 aspirated, and 3 7.3 Powerstrokes. Over 1 MIL miles, no major failures, and loved every one of them. My last Ford was a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke. Sold it with 220K miles and it never went back to the dealer for anything. Only repairs were wear items, brakes, belt tensioner, etc. The only reason I looked at GM in 2007 is because Ford and Navistar were embattled in a lawsuit. Ford had shut down to one shift in building SD's and there were few to no 6.4 TT's on the lots and no definite delivery time on orders. The units on the lots were selling at or near MSRP, due to S&D.

I bought the 2007.5 Silverado LTZ for$2500 below invoice and 0% for 36 mo. It was enticing enough, plus the brand new look. I agree with most of what has been said here. I think the GM's have the best engine/tranny on the market. Maybe after a few years, Ford's 6.7 will earn this honor. However, the GM's do not have the space and practically no storage. This drove me crazy when I got it and still does. They have also fallen behind in technology. It has been a very solid truck. Amazingly has the same brakes after 174K. Only had one failure, under warranty. The 4WD transfer case had to be replaced. Mine has never gotten the fuel mileage that others report, 13 / 16 mpg.

With that said, I really want a Ford, but that Duramax/Allison is very hard to not like. I suppose it will depend on the best deal at the time.

Last edited:

Zoomzoommo

At this point, I'm leaning towards a Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab DRW 4x4, Reese Elite series 18k hitch with the 5th Airborne pin box, and airbags to level things out. Being a newbie, I want the towing experience to be as drama free as possible.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
At this point, I'm leaning towards a Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab DRW 4x4, Reese Elite series 18k hitch with the 5th Airborne pin box, and airbags to level things out. Being a newbie, I want the towing experience to be as drama free as possible.

IF you are buying a new Ford and it has the 5th Wheel Prep. Save yourself alot of money and buy a better 5th wheel hitch. B&W has a hitch that works with the Ford 5th Wheel Prep that is $800. You may find it cheaper if you shop around. But a far superior hitch then the Reese.

OP, Keep in mind that the Dodge 800ftlb pickups run reduced power until 5th and 6th gear. not sure how much torque management is happening but you dont get full power in gears 1-4. I only learned this recently but I thought like the other two brands but only used a more aggressive torque management just during the shifts, but in fact its through entire gears. As Ford and GM reduce power during a shift

porthole

Retired
The B&W is an OK hitch as are most of them, but it is not the holy grail many make it out to be. If you decide on the B just be aware it also uses the floor of the bed for support. That may or may not be a concern for you. If you use a bed liner you will damage it with a B&W turnover.

And I am sure dodge is not putting 400/800 through the input shaft on shifts. That will break parts, even on an Allison.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Why specifically is the B & W hitch better than the Reese Elite?

Price and the build quality is far superior on the B&W over Reese. The actual 5th wheel hitch has a much stronger and positive locking mech over the Reese. There is no question with the B&W once you swing the lever over to lock it (usually locks itself once you back up to it). If you have Ford with the 5th wheel prep it uses the 4 mounting holes the Reese was designed to except. Plus if I am not mistaken you can actually use a long shank lock to lock the pins in place to keep Sticky Hands off. I havent checked this yet as my new B&W base arrived after I left for offshore. It is replacing the Companion hithc that I use to use in the Dodge.

The other nice feature that I like is that you only need to buy the lower base is you decide to buy a Ford or Dodge or Chevy. Because I think the Ford 5th wheel prep Reese hitch is only good for those pickups Dont have to buy the entire hitch later.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Congratulations on your new Cyclone. I used the B&W when I had my Dodge and now have the 22K Elite. either does the job just fine but having used both I would come down in the B&W camp. With the jaw set up on the B&W hitching and unhitching is easy. With the Reese if you are on even slightly uneven ground you end up fighting to get the jaws to open. Also, the B&W has a shock absorber to dampen the side to side movement where as the Reese bangs around freely when not hitched. It's not that big a deal if you don't mind the banging.

The B&W for the Ford prep package was not available when I bought mine or I would have it instead of the Reese. It's also quite a bit less $$$$

Good luck with your search and enjoy your New rig!!!!

datedd

I test drove all three trucks. I didn't like the Dodge as it seemed to hesitate on acceleration from stop. The GM and the Ford both had seamless acceleration. My best however was the Ford because sitting in the seat I felt "planted" whereas the GM I did not. This would make a difference on long trips. The Ford did not skimp on room as the crew cab is large. The back seat of the GM felt like I was riding in an extended cab. Also just the little things like storage under the seat, awesome cockpit and it seemed to me that the Ford offered more for my money. A great rich array of body colors, two tone etc.

While the GM would be capable, the Ford seems to offer more.

scottyb

I test drove all three trucks. I didn't like the Dodge as it seemed to hesitate on acceleration from stop. The GM and the Ford both had seamless acceleration. My best however was the Ford because sitting in the seat I felt "planted" whereas the GM I did not. This would make a difference on long trips. The Ford did not skimp on room as the crew cab is large. The back seat of the GM felt like I was riding in an extended cab. Also just the little things like storage under the seat, awesome cockpit and it seemed to me that the Ford offered more for my money. A great rich array of body colors, two tone etc.

While the GM would be capable, the Ford seems to offer more.

I would agree with everything you said, and I have had a GM for 5-1/2 years and just turned 180 K today. I think GM has fallen behind in creature comforts and most of the independant reviews agree. Their Driver Information Center pales in comparison to Ford's and the storage space is dismal. However, I think they have the most proven engine/tranny combo on the market and they score the highest in side-by-side performance comparisons. GM's exhaust braking system gets much higher marks than Ford's, and this is very important to me. I am very torn by all of this, being primarily a Ford person, I really want a Ford. I'm just not comfortable with Ford's history on their two previous diesels. I know this is a whole different animal (Ford instead of Navistar), and has been getting praised by many. It just doesn't have a long enough track record to erase the memory of the 6.0 and 6.4 TT. I purchased a F550 for the company last summer, and so far it has been a Hoss. Maybe the 6.7L will prove to be as reliable as the 7.3L. Only time will tell.

Speedy

All the dated interior and lack of style regarding the GM trucks will change when the new versions come out in 2013/2014. I'll wait til then. I agree the Fords are nice but their track record for quality doesn't sit well with me. Until they can build a dependable engine/transmission combo I'll stay with what I have.

datedd

I would agree with everything you said, and I have had a GM for 5-1/2 years and just turned 180 K today. I think GM has fallen behind in creature comforts and most of the independant reviews agree. Their Driver Information Center pales in comparison to Ford's and the storage space is dismal. However, I think they have the most proven engine/tranny combo on the market and they score the highest in side-by-side performance comparisons. GM's exhaust braking system gets much higher marks than Ford's, and this is very important to me. I am very torn by all of this, being primarily a Ford person, I really want a Ford. I'm just not comfortable with Ford's history on their two previous diesels. I know this is a whole different animal (Ford instead of Navistar), and has been getting praised by many. It just doesn't have a long enough track record to erase the memory of the 6.0 and 6.4 TT. I purchased a F550 for the company last summer, and so far it has been a Hoss. Maybe the 6.7L will prove to be as reliable as the 7.3L. Only time will tell.

Agreed. Time will tell. I think with today's technology redemption in a new drivetrain is possible. I have yet to see how it will stand the test of time. The big three will always battle for one's business. I've had 7 Ford vehicles ranging from cars to vans,have had Chrysler vehicles (mainly Jeeps) and have had Chevys. So it's not brand loyalty but personal preference.

Zoomzoommo

I bought a '12 F350 DRW today -- taking delivery on Jan. 2 so I can avoid personal property taxes for a year. The new Rams aren't delivering until March or April, and I really didn't want the last model year of a Chevy/GM. So I decided to go with the Ford. Lots of '12's on the lots, so the discounts and rebates were attractive. The Cyclone is delivering in mid-January, so I'll be ready. Guess I'll need to make decisions on a hitch, air bags, and aftermarket pin box. And find tires to replace the factory Tow Maxes that everyone loves to hate.

rgwilliams69

We pull our Cyclone 4100 with a 2012 F350 DRW Lariat and love it. You won't even notice it is back there! Congrats.