Excessive water coming in window?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We're having a doozy of a storm tonight. I got up to make sure everything was dry and found the small window over the stovetop had a tray full of water. It was dribbling over the lip and onto the counter. I don't think it's leaking exactly, I just don't think these windows are water tight. The rain is really hard (which is why I'm awake at 3:30) and coming from that side.

Have any of you had this problem? I'm filling up 2 sponges about every 2 minutes. I've never noticed this during a normal rain shower.

~Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alice, the only thing I can think of is the drain ports may be blocked with debris. These are outside on the lower part of the window frame. I can't imagine a new rig having accumulated enough stuff to block the ports though.
Depending on the angle the rain is coming and if it's real windy, it could be coming between where the 2 panes come together in the center?

Noobie

How bad was the storm ? And I agree with previous poster check the drain ports. Another thing you could try would be taking a water hose and using that to see exactly where the water is coming in.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I had one window that leaked in a hard rain and I found the problem. The calk around the windows in applied over the top and just part way down the sides. The holes for the windows are cut out with a router at the factory using a template. On my leaking window there was a chip made when they cut the opening thus a bit of a gap along the window frame. I applied some caulk to the spot and it has been dry for several years now.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Studied the windows as we were packing up today. Somebody installed the window upside down!

The drains are at the top.

Will put tape over it for the time being and let Heartland sort it out after the hurricane.

Ray LeTourneau

Studied the windows as we were packing up today. Somebody installed the window upside down!

Will put tape over it for the time being and let Heartland sort it out after the hurricane.
I've actually heard of the same thing happening to another member. That makes 2! Glad you found the potential problem.

jbeletti

Oops! Sorry about that Eric and Alice. A window installed upside down is not something most of here would have thought to have you check - though I've heard of it happening once before. Glad you've applied a temporary fix. Any dealer should be able to take care of that for you. When you are able, call Heartland to get this logged. Send in a picture of it with your VIN and contact info to service@heartlandrvs.com.

Jim

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
What makes this problem worse for us is the microwave vent is exactly lined up with the drain holes. I'm betting that increases and sort of aims extra water at the holes. We only noticed it bc of a severe storm so hopefully my tape will hold until we get back to GA later this year. I have a few things for them to take care of. :)

Ray LeTourneau

What makes this problem worse for us is the microwave vent is exactly lined up with the drain holes. I'm betting that increases and sort of aims extra water at the holes. We only noticed it bc of a severe storm so hopefully my tape will hold until we get back to GA later this year. I have a few things for them to take care of. :)

Erika, very little water comes from the vents and when it does, it trickles down the sidewalls. You shouldn't have any worries about the microwave vent below. If you move out of Sandy's path, you could actually reverse the window yourselves. There is no "glue" sealing the frame to the RV. Only a closed cell foam gasket around the perimeter. The frame separates by removing the screws from the inside frame. Use a putty knife to remove the caulk from the top on the outside. Pull out the frame and reverse. Recaulk the top and down the sides and leave the bottom of the frame uncaulked.