LOOKING FOR a used electric jack

Thanks, Dan...

I sooooooooo need to find a used electric jack, as apparently they start at over $200 to purchase. I wanted one for my husband for our 35th anniversary, but since it is on Monday, I'm gonna be late. He's a school teacher, retiring in May (yay!!), so have to be careful with the finances.

If anyone is selling one please let me know. We are not mechanically minded, so looking for an easy to use, easy to maintain item... one that WORKS. 8o) Since my husband's heart attack a few years ago, everything involved with hitching and unhitching just wears him out. I'm not much help there.

FYI, if you need to know, we have a North Trail Travel Trailer... a 21FBS.

Thanks so much,
Angie
901-596-3118

pegmikef

Every once in a while I see tongue jacks on Craigs List. EBay is also a good source and sometimes you can find new ones for around 180 bucks. This link has one as low as 100.00. Before you buy one I would check out some reviews of any you are considering. I can only vouch for the Barker VIP 3500. Good luck. Installation of a tongue jack is a ten to fifteen minute job. All you need is a couple of jack stands and a wrench.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...w=electric+tongue+jack&_sacat=50067&_from=R40

Every once in a while I see tongue jacks on Craigs List. EBay is also a good source and sometimes you can find new ones for around 180 bucks. This link has one as low as 100.00. Before you buy one I would check out some reviews of any you are considering. I can only vouch for the Barker VIP 3500. Good luck. Installation of a tongue jack is a ten to fifteen minute job. All you need is a couple of jack stands and a wrench.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...w=electric+tongue+jack&_sacat=50067&_from=R40

Thanks! I will check them out!

evolvingpowercat

I bought a new electric trailer tongue jack from Harbor Freight for my Edge, 20 percent off one item coupons for them can be found all over, making the cost about $ 110 plus tax.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3000-lb-capacity-electric-trailer-jack-67597.html

This is one of those "you get what you pay for deals" it is prone to problems if not used correctly.

- It needs a direct connection to the trailer battery positive terminal or to a large gauge wire leading to the battery. I was able to connect to the junction box on the trailer tongue where the breakaway switch connects with good results.
- The foot has to be removed before you raise the post all the way up into the tube, or the foot will interere with the insides of the electric jack, this is not clear in the instructions.
- There is no automatic stop switch when you retract the post into the tube - you have to let go of the motor switch when the red limit tape reaches the tube when raising.

I bought a new electric trailer tongue jack from Harbor Freight for my Edge, 20 percent off one item coupons for them can be found all over, making the cost about $ 110 plus tax.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3000-lb-capacity-electric-trailer-jack-67597.html

This is one of those "you get what you pay for deals" it is prone to problems if not used correctly.

- It needs a direct connection to the trailer battery positive terminal or to a large gauge wire leading to the battery. I was able to connect to the junction box on the trailer tongue where the breakaway switch connects with good results.
- The foot has to be removed before you raise the post all the way up into the tube, or the foot will interere with the insides of the electric jack, this is not clear in the instructions.
- There is no automatic stop switch when you retract the post into the tube - you have to let go of the motor switch when the red limit tape reaches the tube when raising.

Wow, I've heard some real horror stories about buying things from Harbor Freight. We are sooooooooo no mechanically minded, I'd probably run like crazy the other way. The price is so much better though.

evolvingpowercat

Yeah, that is why I noted all the usability problems with the el-cheapo Harbor Freight jack that I have to work around, its definitely not for everyone, certainly not for those that are not mechanically inclined. I figured that for $ 110, if I even only get a couple seasons out of it it will be worth it to me. It is soooo nice not to have turn that darn hand crank anymore.

Last edited: