Outside speakers

ChangingPlaces

Our outside speakers have failed. The sound is now very dissorted and they leaked badly through the cover, so I looked to replace them.
I thought I would replace them with Fusion 7in marine speakers, so I went about getting some. One problem was once I measured them up, I would have to cut a hole all the way through the wall as they did not have the depth to stay within the wall cavity. That was ok because they would protrude into the cabinet at the end of the bed, within the drawers. But my main problem is that when our rig was made they mounted the speakers too low. So this mean't that if I was to cut the hole for them to go through the wall the main structral beam is directly behind them. This would mean that the I would have to raise the hole for them to fit, but then the cover would not cover the existing hole.
So now I have refitted the existing speakers back for now. I have noticed on other Big Countrys that have been bought into NZ that their speakers have been mounted higher up so no problem. I will have to look for another way around this problem.

I think it would be a good idea when HL are building these rigs that they are consistant in everything they make and fit to them and also think about if something breaks down and replacements or upgrades are done that this is possible, if needed.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Paul,

The only thing consistent in the industry seems to be "change". The designs are ever-evolving to make an even better coach. I know this is not what you wanted to hear. And either way, it won't help in your situation. Just letting you know that designs always get tweaked. Especially in a "continuous improvement" way. Perhaps that's why the speaker location was changed from what you have to what is being produced today.

ChangingPlaces

Paul,

The only thing consistent in the industry seems to be "change". The designs are ever-evolving to make an even better coach. I know this is not what you wanted to hear. And either way, it won't help in your situation. Just letting you know that designs always get tweaked. Especially in a "continuous improvement" way. Perhaps that's why the speaker location was changed from what you have to what is being produced today.
Hi there Jim.
I know thinks are always changing and thats good. I spend a bit of time looking at the new models and their upgrades. Don't get me wrong we love our rig and wouldn't change it. I'll get to the bottom of the speaker problem, but the thing here in NewZealand we don't have the choices you have in the US. Can I buy new speakers from HL directly or do I have to go through our dealer here in NZ.
Many thanks Paul

ChangingPlaces

How far must you move The speakers? Have you thought about flush mount speakers?

http://shop.seafarerintl.com/product.sc?productId=2&categoryId=2

How about making a nice backing plate of "diamond plate"? You could use "5200" to attach the diamond plate to the sidewall of the trailer then mount the speakers to that. Use the chunk of trailer material you cut for the new speakers to fill in the old hole.
Hi Rick
Many thanks for your ideas. I will consider all reccomendations. I am assuming that the 5200 diamond plate is similar to what we call here in NZ, checker plate. I have this on the back of my truck. It is very good. Cheers Paul

rick_debbie_gallant