Replacing vent cover in bathroom

patrick1945

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3055 RL and yesterday I noticed that the vent cover (under the MAXAIR) is cracking and needs replacement.

1. Can you just replace the plastic vent cover?
2. I assume I just remove the MAXAIR and do the job and then replace the MAXAIR. What are the pitfalls?
3 What information do I need and where should I purchase a replacement?

thank you

caissiel

On our 2009 I had to change both vent covers, bedroom and bath due to the cover becoming very brittle and were just falling apart. I used the new model replacement unit (there are 2 styles for our Exlir Vent and the later model was the right one). They were replaced from the roof as the pin at the hinge has to be pulled out. I also removed the interior trim, handle and screen. But it could be replaced with 2 people while not removing the screen if the lifting bar can be removed from off the vent cover from the roof.

The vent covers on the previous trailer lasted 15 years without maxair covers over them.

Last edited:

Speedy

You should be able to find a direct replacement for the cover at any large RV dealer. When our roof came loose on the way to the national rally in Gillette and destroyed the vent cover we stopped at a dealer in Rapid City to see if they carried a replacement so we could at least be rain tight. They had four versions for different styles, we picked out the one that matched the bathroom vent because at the time they were the same. The replacement cover was about $19 but I don't have a brand because we ended up giving it to someone at the rally that needed one. The front vent was replaced by Heartland with a Fantastic Fan while they repaired the roof.

Thanks again Heartland!!

patrick1945

I found polycarbonate replacement Camco kits online at Amazon which some criticize for not allowing enough light.

patrick1945

The fan is not a Fantastic fan but a small fan with a black push button to turn it on. There is a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen.