Hole in duct need suggestions for repair

funntheson

After taking off the panel behind the UDC to access and reposition the fresh water inlet line so that it will actually accept water from a hose now, I noticed a big hole in one of the ducts. The first picture shows the actual hole. The second picture shows where the duct originates. It is the middle duct in the vertical row of three. It is such a fragile material, that I am not sure if it could be patched or taped. Any suggestions?
IMG_2351_2969.jpg
IMG_2352_2970.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2352_2970.jpg
    IMG_2352_2970.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 88

jnbhobe

I have duct taped mine before, also check if there is a lot of extrs laying in there, you may be able to just cut it back.

funntheson

Thanks guys. I don't think there is enough extra to cut the duct. I think I may try the aluminum type duct tape.

wdk450

If you can get the right size stovepipe, you could inset a piece of that in the break and secure it to the flex duct with duct tape

funntheson

I'm going to try the metal tape first, and see how that goes. I'm curious as to why such a flimsy, fragile material is used in the first place?

jnbhobe

Your right now that I think about it mine is mostly an insulated hose except what goes thru the basement to the bedroom.

funntheson

The metal tape seems to have done the trick. That being said, it was a pain in the butt to get to, and I had to use several smaller pieces of tape, because there wasn't suffecient room to wrap around the duct.

brianharrison

I have used the same repair you have done, including the short sections of tape for successful repairs.

If that doesn't work, I have used used flex connectors to join the two pieces together, with along with a couple of 4" hose clamps. Something like this --> Link.

Brian

funntheson

Thanks Brian,
I will keep that in mind.
I have used the same repair you have done, including the short sections of tape for successful repairs.

If that doesn't work, I have used used flex connectors to join the two pieces together, with along with a couple of 4" hose clamps. Something like this --> Link.

Brian

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Curious why some of the ductwork looks translucent, the other metallic fabric? Typically I've seen the metallic fabric variety.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That translucent material normally is the type used when it is wrapped with insulation.
I suspect that somewhere along the line removed the insulating cover.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2